• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Roach question

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh no I don't wait that long. I feed around dark and if they're not at least killed by midnight when I go to bed they're outta there. I have gotten to where I take the tweezers and crush the head just enough so they keep kicking but don't do much else and they r usually mush by morning if I can find them. Usually all I find is the back legs. I have a greedy bunch they eat em all. Lol
The 24 hour thing works for me. Theres been times id check hours later and then the T eats. But most of mine eat within the first 2-3hours if not right away. With the roaches i have more piece of mind it wont do anything harmful if left in for a day.:)

Pasodama

3 Year Member
A female can live for two years and a male for one. They also can breed once a month so with proper care you can get two years of food per a female i feed all my slings 1/4" dubias they eat them with no issues. Well aside from my E.sp red. But that one doesnt like to eat often maybe once a month. But it gets food offered every feeding.

Also, to add to this, one other great thing is that, unlike crickets, there are no special needs, that you have to provide, for eggs/young.
The female incubates the eggs inside of her in what is called the ootheca (egg case). She will also temp control the ootheca by having it either completely inside of her or having the ootheca stick out behind her (so don't freak out if you see something sticking out of her behind ;) ).
In essence, when the time arrives, Dubia have live births (do not lay eggs).

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A common site in my enclosures is a dubia pressed up against the side, behind the water dish. They always wander out and always end up eaten. Ive found several of my larger spiders molting with an adult dubia in the tank with them. I mean several times. I really dont think they'll mess with a molting tarantula. I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe if they were starving..mine are fat though. Meh. Anyway, lats are great too. They trigger feeding response very quickly, and seem more appropriate for arboreals and smaller spiders. They breed like jackrabbits too.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A common site in my enclosures is a dubia pressed up against the side, behind the water dish. They always wander out and always end up eaten. Ive found several of my larger spiders molting with an adult dubia in the tank with them. I mean several times. I really dont think they'll mess with a molting tarantula. I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe if they were starving..mine are fat though. Meh. Anyway, lats are great too. They trigger feeding response very quickly, and seem more appropriate for arboreals and smaller spiders. They breed like jackrabbits too.
Lats are invasive tho. Which is no no for the poster.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lats are invasive tho. Which is no no for the poster.
only if they get out. and they don't breed as easily as the dubia. I have a hell of a time getting my lateralis colony to breed, but my dubia colony has no issues with breeding.

Plus if they do escape they're easy to catch. Just this weekend i made the mistake of leaning the egg create inside the container against the wall, thought it would be low enough they couldn't get out but i turned around a few minutes later to see roaches running around the rim and down the side. i spent 15 or 20 minutes catching escapees. I figure i had 6 or 8 go under the bed where i couldn't get them, and 2 went under the desk. caught 1 from under the desk and 1 in the bathtub last night and found 2 this morning crawling down the stairs to the living room/kitchen. i use a tall 5 oz deli cup to catch them in and a piece of flat card board to help catch them. Drop the deli cup over them and slide them onto the cardboard.

I'm not worried about them breeding, i can't get them to breed in a controlled environment they're not going to breed loose in my house where the humidity is much lower (16-22%)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
only if they get out. and they don't breed as easily as the dubia. I have a hell of a time getting my lateralis colony to breed, but my dubia colony has no issues with breeding.

Plus if they do escape they're easy to catch. Just this weekend i made the mistake of leaning the egg create inside the container against the wall, thought it would be low enough they couldn't get out but i turned around a few minutes later to see roaches running around the rim and down the side. i spent 15 or 20 minutes catching escapees. I figure i had 6 or 8 go under the bed where i couldn't get them, and 2 went under the desk. caught 1 from under the desk and 1 in the bathtub last night and found 2 this morning crawling down the stairs to the living room/kitchen. i use a tall 5 oz deli cup to catch them in and a piece of flat card board to help catch them. Drop the deli cup over them and slide them onto the cardboard.

I'm not worried about them breeding, i can't get them to breed in a controlled environment they're not going to breed loose in my house where the humidity is much lower (16-22%)

Its crazy how certain people have problems with certain roaches. I killed my E posticus starter colony. No idea how. My E species ivory thrived, gave me male and female adults, and then a sudden die off, all gone. My lats, dubia and hissers are doing fantastic, and always have. I need to add some lats though, I nearly fed them off dumping them into scorpion communals.

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
I had problems years ago attempting to breed lats. They would lay ooths but I never got babies out of them. I was super super new to the hobby then and probably did everything all wrong haha. This was about eight years ago I can't even remember what I did for them.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I had problems years ago attempting to breed lats. They would lay ooths but I never got babies out of them. I was super super new to the hobby then and probably did everything all wrong haha. This was about eight years ago I can't even remember what I did for them.
I'm going to try an incubator setup when i get some adults again. I think the ambient humidity in my house is hte problem, but then again they say dubia need higher humidity than lats and they're breeding just fine.

Or I could do like i've been doing and spend $50 every 6 months or so on lats and not worry about trying to get the colony going. Since i've been doing that anyway and it's just been a headache :p

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A good way to keep humidity up is when you use a heat pad. You put a bottle of water with holes in the cap and place in side the tub where the heat pad is. Also giveing the a sparay here and there helps.

Redacted

3 Year Member
I've had a lot of success with hissers! Yup, all size-classes, and my big G. pulchripes females will tackle adults.

Latest posts