• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Roach question

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
Which kind of roach doesn't survive and cause an infestation if they happen to get loose. I saw it somewhere but can't find it again. I want to raise my own food and roaches seem like they're the easiest to breed and keep but I don't want to chance an infestation if some happen to get loose my husband would FREAK. Thanks

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Dubia will not infest your house. Ive had countless escapes while feeding spiders. I find them later either dead or nearly dead from lack of moisture and food, or never see them again. I keep Shelfordella lateralis as well. They're considered invasive, all across the southern US. Ive had a few escape. No infestation. If you live in a clean house, chances of an infestation are slim, I think. Trash thrown regularly, house cleaned regularly, theres nothing to eat or drink for them to thrive and multiply. In my opinion. Ive kept both species in my bedroom for years, theyre fantastic feeders, and neither can climb worth a damn.

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
Thanks. We have a loved in but clean house. I cant stand a dirty house. I grew up with one of those aunts that had a nasty house that had dirty dishes and clothes stacked to the ceiling and roach infestation so bad they were like pets they would come up and sit on ur shoulder and watch tv with u. Makes me shudder to this day thinking about it.

I have been reluctant to go to something other than crickets but I have had the worst luck keeping them alive beyond a week and since all I have r slings I think they r getting out even though I taped up some of the holes of the cricket keeper. I do have some mealworms but I worry about leaving them in the enclosures very long cuz they burrow. I already had an incidence where I had to dig to find one (luckily the T was a calm 1) and I know the T was sitting in the corner making fun of me. Lol

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks. We have a loved in but clean house. I cant stand a dirty house. I grew up with one of those aunts that had a nasty house that had dirty dishes and clothes stacked to the ceiling and roach infestation so bad they were like pets they would come up and sit on ur shoulder and watch tv with u. Makes me shudder to this day thinking about it.

I have been reluctant to go to something other than crickets but I have had the worst luck keeping them alive beyond a week and since all I have r slings I think they r getting out even though I taped up some of the holes of the cricket keeper. I do have some mealworms but I worry about leaving them in the enclosures very long cuz they burrow. I already had an incidence where I had to dig to find one (luckily the T was a calm 1) and I know the T was sitting in the corner making fun of me. Lol
Crickets die pretty easy and smell bad. Dubia are the way to go imo. They have a minimum to no smell. Wont infest and have a higher nutritional vaule then crickets. Plus they wont chew on your T if left in the enclouser.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Another vote, for Dubia, here.
I raise them and they are easy to keep & breed. They, certainly, won't stink up a room either.
They cannot climb slick sides so they will not escape a plastic tub as long as egg flats, etc., are not piled to the top.
Only males can fly but it is negligible. Mostly a downward flutter (from top to somewhere lower).
Escapes are rather rare and, usually, only occur from a person's error or their dropping a tub. However, even if some manage to escape, there is no worry of infestation.
That said, one thing, to keep in mind, is that Dubia roaches can burrow into substrate (especially, or more so, nymphs) but, even if they burrow, they do, eventually, venture to the top.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Another vote, for Dubia, here.
I raise them and they are easy to keep & breed. They, certainly, won't stink up a room either.
They cannot climb slick sides so they will not escape a plastic tub as long as egg flats, etc., are not piled to the top.
Only males can fly but it is negligible. Mostly a downward flutter (from top to somewhere lower).
Escapes are rather rare and, usually, only occur from a person's error or their dropping a tub. However, even if some manage to escape, there is no worry of infestation.
That said, one thing, to keep in mind, is that Dubia roaches can burrow into substrate (especially, or more so, nymphs) but, even if they burrow, they do, eventually, venture to the top.
Also to prevent burrowing by just crushing the dubia's head. You wont kill it since they can live headless, but it wont burrow either will just walk around or twitch about.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
I don't have much trouble with cricket die offs although it is quite easy to have that problem.
Regardless, common crickets do have a, naturally, very short lifespan anyway. A cricket has had a rich, and full life, if it reaches 8 weeks old.

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
Crickets die pretty easy and smell bad. Dubia are the way to go imo. They have a minimum to no smell. Wont infest and have a higher nutritional vaule then crickets. Plus they wont chew on your T if left in the enclouser.

That's my biggest concern with the crickets. Hubby gets upset with me cuz I feed them than I sit there like a vulture and watch if they don't take them right away and with the mealworms I worry they r gonna burrow if they don't attack them right away. I need something I can feed and relax cuz it's VERY rare that they eat as soon as I feed them. I'm gonna give myself a heart attack!!

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
Dubia roaches it is. It sounds like with some common sense and minimal effort I can have food for life and piece of mind while feeding AND when I get a super small sling that might b 1/16" I won't b scrambling to find something for it to eat (even though it is an A. Genic and will pounce on ANYTHING even if it's the back half of a mealworm that's big enough to eat her) when I saw the size of her I started to freak. I had no idea what I was gonna feed her. Any other species and I woulda been screwed. :(

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A female can live for two years and a male for one. They also can breed once a month so with proper care you can get two years of food per a female i feed all my slings 1/4" dubias they eat them with no issues. Well aside from my E.sp red. But that one doesnt like to eat often maybe once a month. But it gets food offered every feeding.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's my biggest concern with the crickets. Hubby gets upset with me cuz I feed them than I sit there like a vulture and watch if they don't take them right away and with the mealworms I worry they r gonna burrow if they don't attack them right away. I need something I can feed and relax cuz it's VERY rare that they eat as soon as I feed them. I'm gonna give myself a heart attack!!
Some of mine will take a bit to eat. My versicolor is the only one that will take the roach frm me and eat right away. Ill normally will check back in a hour. Then a few hours later. If its not eaten in 24 hours i remove the roach.

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
Some of mine will take a bit to eat. My versicolor is the only one that will take the roach frm me and eat right away. Ill normally will check back in a hour. Then a few hours later. If its not eaten in 24 hours i remove the roach.

Oh no I don't wait that long. I feed around dark and if they're not at least killed by midnight when I go to bed they're outta there. I have gotten to where I take the tweezers and crush the head just enough so they keep kicking but don't do much else and they r usually mush by morning if I can find them. Usually all I find is the back legs. I have a greedy bunch they eat em all. Lol

Latest posts