• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Riddle me this

Matthaus

3 Year Member
This isn't a riddle, I'm just running out of title ideas...

So i'm on youtube, just watching videos of tarantulas and when i come across videos of the LPs, their substrate is extremely dry, have i missed something??

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've always kept my 2 dry, at least I tried when they were small (they were 1" dls) but the male was always tipping his water bowl over although the other never did. I solved the problem as they grew (both over 6" now) by giving them un-tippable animal food bowls.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Matthaus I never worked that out. I guess some do, others don't. He was the most untidy T, digging as well as spilling water whereas the other was always neat and tidy, he seems to have grown out of it now.

swimbait

3 Year Member
LPs really shouldn't be kept on moist substrate, you can get away with it but dry is much easier and "supposedly" better for them. I keep my slings on moist sub but not anything past 2". However I keep a large water bowl and mist once a week to every 2 weeks.

TabithasMom

3 Year Member
I wet the substrate of my MM LP every so often, but only when I see him hanging around the water dish, and during the winter. My juvenile loves to destroy its enclosure, and bury its water dish with substrate. Annoying.

Matthaus

3 Year Member
So in a nutshell i should just keep the overflowed water bowl in the corner. Which she has covered with a ton of moss...

On a side note, any good tips i can get for the Curlyhair would be aweome
DSC_0249.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For the albopilosum just dry sub and a water dish and hide. If its a sling you can moisten a small area of substrate and see if It likes it. Most dry species don't, but slings sometimes appreciate it in small doses.

Matthaus

3 Year Member
For the albopilosum just dry sub and a water dish and hide. If its a sling you can moisten a small area of substrate and see if It likes it. Most dry species don't, but slings sometimes appreciate it in small doses.
Awesome, I'll give that a shot. It seems as if all though that my ts prefer the substrate on the drier side.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have four and, like most of the others, I keep them mostly dry. In the summer, it's bone dry. It's humid enough where I live that they don't need the extra moisture. During the winter when the air dries out due to the furnace running, I'll moisten a corner a bit for them. However, I did this last week for my female, and she's still sitting on the dry side of the enclosure. Mine, at least, haven't shown a preference for the moist side. I do include water dishes for all of them as well.

swimbait

3 Year Member
If I were you I wouldn't even keep moss in the LPs cage, I would also be housing it in something a little larger. Seems theres only a couple inches between the sub and the lid

Matthaus

3 Year Member
If I were you I wouldn't even keep moss in the LPs cage, I would also be housing it in something a little larger. Seems theres only a couple inches between the sub and the lid
I'll remove the moss then, thank you!
I've dug out into the hide, so there's enough space in there for even my hand to fit in,she has more than enough space even although she hardly uses it.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As they grow LPs are less likely to burrow or hide away, my 2 never do now. I was told that they like a slab of stone to sit on so I bought some slate and they do seem to like it, either sitting on that or on their cork bark

Matthaus

3 Year Member
As they grow LPs are less likely to burrow or hide away, my 2 never do now. I was told that they like a slab of stone to sit on so I bought some slate and they do seem to like it, either sitting on that or on their cork bark
Morticia has been hanging around a lot on the substrate rrecently since it's started to dry out a bit and I think she's prefering that.
She's not showing a lot stress, so it's getting better. But i'll remove the moss after work and see what she does then.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
And it is bucketing down with a very needed rain! the excitement is insane!!

If you'd said sooner you could have had some of ours, the UK has been suffering severe flooding because we've had much too much rain

Matthaus

3 Year Member
I've been meaning to give you guys an update but i keep getting distracted with work.
So i tried to remove the moss out her tank but she just doesn't want me to remove it, but i do want to try remove most of it because it just seems to be far to much in her tank at the moment, but she is honestly not allowing me to remove it.

Latest posts