• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question Regarding Intelligence of Jumping Spiders

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Sorry I can't answer this but would like to know too! I have heard that jumping spiders are more intelligent, but I'm not sure in which way and how this has been measured. My tarantulas are very insulted :p

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you like sci Fi reads- there is a good book called "Children of Time". Newbury Award winner. I won't give the plot away, but it prominently features the intelligence of jumping spiders.

MBullock

3 Year Member
Only crustacea can beat them when it comes to arthropod intelligence with mantis shrimp. i used to watch the audax colony in my backyard and they all clearly have excellent spatial memory and memorize several different perches. Lycosoids are pretty brainy too, lynx spiders learn different techniques for tackling difficult prey, like biting the neck to disable wasps.

its hard to say which spiders are smartest because ive seen spiders of all kinds perform rather impressive tasks that required a decent amount of cognition. male wolf spiders will watch other males tap (schizocosa), then copy them and add a few extra steps- quite intelligent lol.

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
It's easy to become fascinated with this aspect of spiders, caught my gbb doing some webbing this morning, I watched as it measured the space and felt for the anchor points it wanted to use. Then it turned around and went right to those various places with the whole other end of its body. Not sure I could do that lol

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's easy to become fascinated with this aspect of spiders, caught my gbb doing some webbing this morning, I watched as it measured the space and felt for the anchor points it wanted to use. Then it turned around and went right to those various places with the whole other end of its body. Not sure I could do that lol
True. True. Sometimes I have trouble hitting the toilet properly :p :p

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Only crustacea can beat them when it comes to arthropod intelligence with mantis shrimp. i used to watch the audax colony in my backyard and they all clearly have excellent spatial memory and memorize several different perches. Lycosoids are pretty brainy too, lynx spiders learn different techniques for tackling difficult prey, like biting the neck to disable wasps.

its hard to say which spiders are smartest because ive seen spiders of all kinds perform rather impressive tasks that required a decent amount of cognition. male wolf spiders will watch other males tap (schizocosa), then copy them and add a few extra steps- quite intelligent lol.

That is really interesting especially about the wolf spider! Yeah it is hard in general to decide which types of intelligence trumps others, even in humans in my opinion lol. E.g. some animals are outstanding with spatial memory, better than any human.

Gizalba

3 Year Member

I love watching them do this :) they definitely seem to have a plan! And when they move the substrate around too, making new rooms. I love giving them stuff to use then see what they come up with. Daveina here filled in the gaps of the flower with webbed soil to make it into a roof :) >

DSC08228 - Copy.JPG

Latest posts