• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about King African Baboon feeding/burrow

Mandysaurus

Hey all!

Newbie here - but not a newbie to tarantula care - but newbie to my baboon T. "Spooks Deville". I thought this might be a good place to get some insight on the habits of this species.

It seems as though she has built herself a barricade at the opening of her little hut and webbed the whole thing together. This pretty much makes it impossible for her prey (I use crickets) to get over it and into her home. I was wondering - should I break down her wall or just wait to see if she breaks it herself? She hasn't eaten since I got her (which has been about a month). Before she build the Berlin Wall I did try to feed her but she refused it.

Any suggestions you folks have would be awesome! I've taken a picture of the wall so you can see what I'm talking about.
Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20210921_195511.jpg
    10.5 MB · Views: 15

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Assuming you are referring to a P. muticus, they are known for being pet holes. It is best not to disturb them, just make sure water is always available. A month without eating isn’t unusual. I have some tarantulas that fast for much longer.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the forum, thank you for your first post. Why don't you drop a hello in a little bit about yourself in the introductions thread?

Mandysaurus

Assuming you are referring to a P. muticus, they are known for being pet holes. It is best not to disturb them, just make sure water is always available. A month without eating isn’t unusual. I have some tarantulas that fast for much longer.
Thanks! I'll let her be. I guess I just wait for her to come out until I try and feed her?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks for the welcome. I may introduce myself later but for now I kinda just want some advice on this situation *shrugs*
I understand. No shrug required. You probably have your reasons for what you do.

Typically when a tarantula seals itself into it's burrow it means it wants privacy for one reason or another. And typically when a tarantula chooses not to eat, it has one reason or another, too. Tarantulas are programmed to do what they do, instinctively.

Give it the same courtesy you want. It may resurface later but for now it kinda just wants some time and space being buried.

While you're waiting, you can do some research on P muticus and fossorial species in general.

Research: So much better than just asking strangers for advice.

Latest posts