• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Premolt or just kicking hair..

bookac

3 Year Member
Hello there. I gotta ask this,

There have been week and half from when i have done some changes to my terrarium.. So my T is not that active, is not moving a lot, and she is refusing the food..

P05KYf3.jpg

So my guestion is, is the abdomen like this from the kicking hairs, or its in premolt ?

Because when the abdomen started to look like this, it was a smaller spot.. and now is bigger..

Thanks

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That is one fat tarantula. [emoji14] I'd suggest not feeding it until it molts again anyway.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree...doesnt look like she needs any food. :) also if they get too fat sometimes it makes it harder for them to molt. But moving stuff around probably stressed her a little/ just let her chill. shell be fine. :)

bookac

3 Year Member
Stupid question, but can someone tell from looking the picture how much time she have before molt ? Does it look like is going to happend in near future or maybe month or more .. :) thanks

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We can't really determine that by looking at it. I'd imagine soon, but it's really impossible to say.

timc

3 Year Member
Just give her time and access to water. Big females can be in premolt for months at times. In and out of the hobby I often find myself waiting on a lady but it's always worth it because they are always stunning when they are ready;)

bookac

3 Year Member
Just give her time and access to water. Big females can be in premolt for months at times. In and out of the hobby I often find myself waiting on a lady but it's always worth it because they are always stunning when they are ready;)

thanks, I will take the time, but I am not sure if she/he is in premolt stage..

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Either way she doesn't need to be fed any time soon. Look at how fat she is. Also 2 weeks without food is nothing for a tarantula.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I find the bigger the spider, the longer it takes. My little ones can sometimes molt in minutes whereas the big girls can take up to 12 hours.

bookac

3 Year Member
i think she\he is out from her/his old skin.. how long should i wait before removing the old skin from her hide ?

btw her/his colors are awsome, and the legs are bigger and the hairs are longer ^_^

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They are at their most beautiful just after a molt, aren't they?
I usually wait until the T is no longer hogging the molt, so I don't stress them out. It shouldn't matter if it sits inside the enclosure for a couple of days (just makes it harder to determine gender, lol).

Latest posts