• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Possible bite...with 3 prong marks?

MBquestion

Hi, there! Newbie here, and thanks for all the great info!

So, I've had a strange "bite" appear...it started to bother me a day after sleeping with my feet outside the comforter. Unusual, bed not made properly and didn't want to bother fixing it in the middle of the night. The next day, sitting I start to notice my leg hurts, and lift up my pant leg to see this 3 prong "bite" or scratch?

All day I've had increasing pain, stiffness in joints in that right leg, and has since spread to the right arm. Strangely, it's not swelling or really turning red.

So, with a new tarantula in the neighborhood...I doubt this is the cause, but could it be? Or any experts in other animals does this look familiar? Trying to figure out the best course of action. No sign of anything at all in the house.

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• Bite1.jpg
    Bite1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Bite3.jpg
    Bite3.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 13

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Just to be sure, I agree with Enn49, seek medical attention as it seems to be affecting a larger area than the bite spot.

MBullock

3 Year Member
I WOULD suggest centipede bite, but i cant even picture someone sleeping through that it hurts so bad lol

MBquestion

Well that's interesting--I have house centipedes for sure (if that's the proper term for a big, million legger, fluffy looking thing). I hadn't realized they bite until this happened. Could that be the type in your mind? The local opinion medical opinion is "unknown"

MBquestion

The site has remained unchanged--which I take to be a good if odd sign--no swelling, no sign of infection. Stiffness in leg has reduced big time, same with arm, today stiff neck/back, but not taking anything (I'd rather not take painkillers as suggested since that's just going to mask it for me). So if it stays in this direction (knock on wood!) pretty minor...but so weird.

MBullock

3 Year Member
Well that's interesting--I have house centipedes for sure (if that's the proper term for a big, million legger, fluffy looking thing). I hadn't realized they bite until this happened. Could that be the type in your mind? The local opinion medical opinion is "unknown"
they can bite and chew too, but they are very unlikely to bite unless you rolled over on one and it was trapped.
another possibility, especially in winter is Lithobius Forficatus which can grow to 2" and has the largest forficules in relation to body of all extant centipedes, and those are WAY common in the northeast states, like cold rainy places and feed mostly on isopoda.
So it could be a rather big lithobius, especially if the pain is deep and feels like you hit your funny bone- albeit through the whole afflicted extremity.

Better clean that, slap some neosporin on it, and bandage it IMO. Dont wanna get a fingernail infection and it'll keep the area shielded from irritation.