• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

please help me with identification, this is very new for me XD

niels99

3 Year Member
hi guys, i hope im in the right place for this, first of all this aint about tarantula's. (they stil freak me out a little bit)

this morning during my work at a local greenhouse here in the netherlands. i noticed this little dude crawling and jumping on the ground. I took a closer look and saw a jumping spider i'd never seen before. i scooped him up and decide to take him home because he would defenitly have died crawling in the middle of a concrete hallway. he looked odd in comparison with the jumping spiders i normally seen around here so my guess was that he's not from the netherlands (maybe even europe??). if it would be possible i would really like to keep him as pet. here's some more information and photo's

the greenhouse i work in grows anthuriums
all the plants are completely grown in the netherlands. (no import of seedlings/saplings)
we do have a lot of stuff from asia like vases and other glass or plastic ornaments we decorate or put the plants with.(ive found a gecko in a vase from china before)
right now he is on top of my anole terrarium so he wont die because of the cold.

my questions are
-what is the species?
-can i keep him as pet
-if so what kind of habitat does he need (humidity, cover)*
-what food does he need, i breed crickets for my anoles and i could throw in a few very small ones.(i can also get fruitflies from a local petshop)

anyways, thank you for taking the time to read all this, maybe this impulsive decision can evolve into a new hobby ;).
i excuse for any linguistic mistakes and the bad quality of the pictures (i had to use zoom)

greetz, niels

Attachments

• spider 2.jpg
    spider 2.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 18
  • spider 3.jpg
    spider 3.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 18
  • spider 4.jpg
    spider 4.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 21
  • spider 5.jpg
    spider 5.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 19
  • spider.jpg
    spider.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 20

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's certainly a cutie and I'd keep it as a pet as they are fascinating little creatures. They need a fair amount of space to allow them to jump so a container of at least 4" x4" and 5" high would work. I kept a water bowl in mine but I also sprayed the side every few days. Either fruit flies or small crickets will be perfect for feeding, they will attack food that it almost their size.
Species I can't help with but enjoy your new little friend.

niels99

3 Year Member
thank you very much, he just ate a pinhead cricket which really suprised me. for the moment i just took a 5 inch high jar with a 3,5 inch diameter, added some cocohusk a few dead leaves and sticks. i will look for something more permant.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They like their food and will eat every 2-3 days. I gave mine a piece of wood and plastic plant but it preferred to use the sides of the container to web on.

Latest posts