• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Out of fashion species

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
H pulchripes is now the bee's knees. Grammostola species Maule (an orange one) and G inheringi are also spreading out.

In the past B smithi was much easier to get. (using older name)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As far as yout first post, I'm also wondering where the moderatum are. I've been meaning to go find some, life keeps interrupting my short trip though. I wonder why there aren't more in the hobby as well, the females are fantastic looking spiders. Maybe this year..
Anax are plentiful in my area, easy finds, and the females of that sp are also lovely. I do see both for sale occasionally, but not often.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah, I just lost my anax. Her abdomen has been looking weird the last couple of molts. Just passed a week or so ago. I had her for over 12 years.
I've got two females I caught. Bred them with a mm and released him. One girl molted out of it, the other is about to pop. I plan on doing something similar with moderatum but every time I make plans to go catch some, something comes up. I have to say, a freshly molted A anax is as pretty as a B. albiceps, just not as bulky. A female moderatum though..I can't wait..

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I hear ya. I've been wanting one of those for 15 years!
I would've had two when I got my most recent additions, but when they arrived to Austin (who was then going to ship to me), they were DOA, but I ended up with the E. pachypus which has quickly become a favorite. (When you do find some, alert me). The search continues

CEC

3 Year Member
I do see most of those spp. still via facebook the rarest being Crassicrus lamanai, those have pretty much died out. I have seen some pics in the last 5 years from old timer hobbyists of their old females... but last time I checked they are all deceased now.

Lack of breeding is the obvious answer. The hobbyist turn over is ridiculous, even you said you left and came back, right?
A lot on that list AFAIK aren't in that high of demand and/or aren't the easiest to breed either. Also a lot are long lived and take many years before a new generation can hatch. You put all that together and I can see why they aren't as common as they once were.
...And in some cases labels have changed because they were misidentified and actually another species, for example (minax -> vonwirthi) (anax -> hentzi). Both those species have a very small range compared to the other and are almost morphologically identical.

CEC

3 Year Member
I hear ya. I've been wanting one of those for 15 years!

Are you in the US? If you are, I know Austin Spears hatched at least one sac last year and was selling them. I bet he still has some ongoing breedings with that species. He's the guy I'd contact.

TheVez2

3 Year Member
Are you in the US? If you are, I know Austin Spears hatched at least one sac
Yes, I just received an order from him. If he would have had those in stock, I would now own some.

Last edited: