• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Out of fashion species

TheVez2

3 Year Member
My how the hobby has changed. I've been looking around for info and suppliers on some of my want list spiders and some of them aren't anywhere. 15 years ago these were common species in the hobby, and now they are scarce or non-existent.

I'd love to find the following, eventually.

Aphonopelma anax
Aphonopelma bicoloratum
Aphonopelma moderatum
Crassicrus lamanai

Eupalaestrus weijenberghi
Lasiodorides striatus

And here are some others I noticed that used to be common, that are not common now. Or I just don't notice them being discussed.

Cyriopagopus minax
Grammostola alticeps
Grammostola grossa
Grammostola iheringi
Xenesthis immanis

So, I didn't post this to try to find these, I have no money for any more new spiders anyway. I'm just looking for comments as to the changes in the hobby. Have these species fallen out of favor, and the importers/breeders are focusing on the newest/greatest/blue-est species? I know A. moderatum is still a highly desirable species, so where are they?

Or has the well of availability on them just dried up?

Captive breeding wise, maybe there are just females in the hobby for some of these species. I think I heard of that happening with C. lamanai.

Any other species that you notice like these, that were common before and seemingly absent from the hobby now?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My how the hobby has changed. I've been looking around for info and suppliers on some of my want list spiders and some of them aren't anywhere. 15 years ago these were common species in the hobby, and now they are scarce or non-existent.

I'd love to find the following, eventually.

Aphonopelma anax
Aphonopelma bicoloratum
Aphonopelma moderatum
Crassicrus lamanai

Eupalaestrus weijenberghi
Lasiodorides striatus

And here are some others I noticed that used to be common, that are not common now. Or I just don't notice them being discussed.

Cyriopagopus minax
Grammostola alticeps
Grammostola grossa
Grammostola iheringi
Xenesthis immanis

So, I didn't post this to try to find these, I have no money for any more new spiders anyway. I'm just looking for comments as to the changes in the hobby. Have these species fallen out of favor, and the importers/breeders are focusing on the newest/greatest/blue-est species? I know A. moderatum is still a highly desirable species, so where are they?

Or has the well of availability on them just dried up?

Captive breeding wise, maybe there are just females in the hobby for some of these species. I think I heard of that happening with C. lamanai.

Any other species that you notice like these, that were common before and seemingly absent from the hobby now?
I see the G. iheringi from time to time, as a matter of fact I think @Casey K. may actually be selling a few of the species you have listed. Tis a shame you have no more money for eight legged additions, because she has rare species at unbelievably low prices.

TheVez2

3 Year Member
I see the G. iheringi from time to time, as a matter of fact I think @Casey K. may actually be selling a few of the species you have listed. Tis a shame you have no more money for eight legged additions, because she has rare species at unbelievably low prices.
I have a large order in with her....... that's why I have no more money for any "other" Ts!

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

I shall remember you on your next order, my friend! ;)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have to direct US hobbyists to the right places and your deals are great. Speaking of next order (I will drop a PM on that).

Thank you, darlin'. You've always been a great customer and hobby friend! :)

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Isn't L striatus actually a nhandu species now? Chromatus maybe?
No i don't believe so, but then again i am a writer not a taxonomist so take what i say here with a grain of salt. There are pictures out out there of that species, it is definitely not an N. chromatus.

TheVez2

3 Year Member
Not much traffic on the topic as I'd hoped. Maybe not many people who were in the hobby 15+ years ago to remember when these were common.

There are so many new species to look at now, than there even was 5 years ago. It's really crazy. I don't have much interest in many of the new species though. I'm mostly a fan of the "classics".

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not much traffic on the topic as I'd hoped. Maybe not many people who were in the hobby 15+ years ago to remember when these were common.

There are so many new species to look at now, than there even was 5 years ago. It's really crazy. I don't have much interest in many of the new species though. I'm mostly a fan of the "classics".
As far as new species to the US hobby, the most sought after species has to be C. Sp. electric blue, as far as species not in the us hobby, go check out pictures of T. seladonia (and the electric blue) and you will see why they are coveted.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As far as new species to the US hobby, the most sought after species has to be C. Sp. electric blue, as far as species not in the us hobby, go check out pictures of T. seladonia (and the electric blue) and you will see why they are coveted.

Ahhhh.....let's not forget T. psychedelicus and P. solaris! :)

TheVez2

3 Year Member
Well you’re asking a question that has a response from other people and you reply “meh”? lol toot toot
Well, sorry I did not quote them, I was responding to both of the posts above it. I figured that with the flow of the conversation it was implied, and unnecessary to quote. Mea culpa.

I think my overall intent has been missed though. I'm not looking for recommendations. Just trying to start a conversation about the hobby.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
My first tarantula was in 2006 and I greatly enjoyed it, but I was in college and paid no attention to the actual hobby. It was a “rosehair” of course. If only I knew what it really was. I bet it was a classic. :). I’ve even asked my wife to look for old college pictures that might have Slash in a photo, but no such luck.

Latest posts