• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newcomer here!!!

Tristan_Hughes

3 Year Member
Hi everyone, anyways when I was younger I thought having a Tarantula was just a cool pet but now that I understand that it is more of a learning experience and uncovered a whole society of people who I wanna become part of. I want to get my first tarantula but I don't know what to get, I am looking for a terrestrial that is hardy and cheap. I know that everybody would suggest a G.rosea but I have heard that they have mood swings and can turn hostile quickly. Is there any other T that I could get such as a B.Smithi but i heard that those were pricey. One last question is it possible that if I get a T that is a juvenile and handle it it will become used to being handled more.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi. I'd recommend a B. albopilosum commonly known as the Honduran Curly Hair, they are great characters and cheap. A T will not get used to being handled and it can cause them stress although some will tolerate it but if you do handle it make sure it can't fall far as that can cause injury or even death.

Tristan_Hughes

3 Year Member
Hi. I'd recommend a B. albopilosum commonly known as the Honduran Curly Hair, they are great characters and cheap. A T will not get used to being handled and it can cause them stress although some will tolerate it but if you do handle it make sure it can't fall far as that can cause injury or even death.
How much do you think the start up cost for everything would be i am on not a tight budget but a moderate one and the abdomen would rupture correct?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How much do you think the start up cost for everything would be i am on not a tight budget but a moderate one and the abdomen would rupture correct?

That will depend on whether you buy a sling or a juvi but you can pick up all you need fairly cheaply. I'm in the UK and prices here differ to those in the US.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tristan,
Check out Jamiestarantulas.com she has a brood of b. smithi slings. around 1 inch. $ 34 bucks. I got one last month. Plus she has cool enclosures and such. Just a suggestion.

Tristan_Hughes

3 Year Member
So would i order everything online even the sling or does she have a a chain of stores?
Tristan,
Check out Jamiestarantulas.com she has a brood of b. smithi slings. around 1 inch. $ 34 bucks. I got one last month. Plus she has cool enclosures and such. Just a suggestion.

Morgan94

3 Year Member
I would def check out jamiestarantulas.com..
and Brachypelma albopilosum are great starter T
Jamie has a special that you can get an curly hair sling enclosure and substrate etc.. for $18.00 plus shipping I believe her shipping is $15 for 2-3 ill send you the link

Morgan94

3 Year Member
http://www.jamiestarantulas.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1848
The only one I would honestly recommend for a beginner on this page is the "Honduran Curly Hair"
but its really up to you. I would also suggest investing in what some call the "tarantula keepers bible" aka the tarantula keepers guide by Stan Schultz and just research whatever you plan on getting until your eyes bleed lol
Good Luck and Welcome to the addiction.. I mean hobby :D

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Hi everyone, anyways when I was younger I thought having a Tarantula was just a cool pet but now that I understand that it is more of a learning experience and uncovered a whole society of people who I wanna become part of. I want to get my first tarantula but I don't know what to get, I am looking for a terrestrial that is hardy and cheap. I know that everybody would suggest a G.rosea but I have heard that they have mood swings and can turn hostile quickly. Is there any other T that I could get such as a B.Smithi but i heard that those were pricey. One last question is it possible that if I get a T that is a juvenile and handle it it will become used to being handled more.
Hello, welcome to the forum and the addictive hobby of T keeping.

I agree with the B. albopilosum as a great first T. They are docile, great eaters, grow to about 6" DLS and rearrange the substrate to no end. I suggest getting a juvenile first, being that slings are more time consuming, meaning their care is different than a juvenile or adult. The choice of size is up to you really.

Everything needed to care for a T can be ordered online, the T, enclosure, hide , substrate and the few other items needed, from one site.

The prior suggestion on the Tarantula Keepers Guide is a good one. Well worth the small price to buy, also check: www.mikebasictarantula.com/Species-Care-Sheet.html. Its only basic care and gives you an idea of what is needed to care for a specific species if its on his list.

As far as handling, most hobbiests don't do it, it only gives you pleasure and does nothing for your T.

Lastly, there are no dumb questions, just the ones you don't ask. Use the sites search function you may find your answer and not need to post. We are here to help you. [emoji4]
Best wishes and welcome aboard! [emoji4]

Poec54

3 Year Member
Rosea's frustrate many keepers, with their long fast and mood swings. They really aren't a very good beginner species, but w/c adults are cheap, so people buy them. Brachypelma are a much better choice. Albopilosum and vagans grow at a moderate rate and aren't as expensive. They're hardy, and actually eat on a regular basis (unlike roseas).

No tarantulas are aggressive or hostile. They defend themselves from intruders. NW's usually kick barbed hairs to drive intruders away. OW's have evolved different strategies: running extremely fast, standing in a defensive pose with fangs extended (some stridulate), and stronger venoms. Regardless, their cage is their territory, not yours. In the wild their life revolves around it. Don't expect them to be thrilled about seeing Godzilla's hand in there.

Handling is an old school stunt that is gradually going away. Instead, people are learning to treat them with more respect, and letting them live like they do in the wild. It is not natural for giant animals to pick them up, unless they want to eat them. Tarantulas in your hand can get startled and fall (with injuries and death); they can panic and run up you arm, even on your back. They sometimes will bite the person they're standing on.

What do you do if one bites you? Instinctively many people will shake their hand and accidently fling the spider across the room. Sometimes when tarantulas bite, they will hang on and try to do as much mechanical damage as possible, and inject as much venom as possible. After all, you are an intruder in it's territory. They don't understand the concept of benevolent humans. They're simple-minded invertebrates with oversized fangs who are solitary and cannibalistic. They cannot bond with humans. They're just not good pets to hold; there's far better choices for that.

Last edited:

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
You have many options in what tarantula you would like to get,what will determine this are the traits you would like. As a new hobbyist,you'd go docile over defensive or even aggressive yes I said aggressive since this can easily be explained like I've done before by using a dictionary and it is still my view on it. There are good examples of these,even Jon3800 had a running with a Hatian Brown male that chased after him outside his enclosure.

After that,you could look at arboreal versus terrestrial would you like a tarantula that climbs or spends most of its time on the ground ? I would in my opinion say to a beginner,go with terrestrial first usually easier to get used to. New world terrestrials are way easier to care for,than say arboreal but there is always an exception like say Theraposa pamphobeteus Phormictopus.

Another factor,display versus a pet hole etc. You will find a lot of tarantulas will as slings hide,while growing up showing less tendency towards hiding. Even some beautiful ones,will not sit outside a lot for you to show off. Even the pet holes,will at night be very active and show off their beauty. Even your arboreal ones will burrow as slings,with the exceptions like Irodopelma Avicularia but they again have care needs and some are not friendly.

We have looked at visibility what type of Tarantula docile vs defensive or aggressive,now that is just the start you still need to cover a lot of things. Let's say for one second,you choose a terrestrial I would always setup an enclosure with at least 3/4 substrate for it to burrow if it wants to add no sharp or pointy objects add a water dish since when adding so much substrate even ones known for sitting outside will burrow if given an option and remember some type of hide since they incorporate this to their homes most of the time.

Now lastly,handling I do not condone nor will I judge but give my view on it. When you handle a T,you are putting it at risk just my opinion. You nor anyone knows the exact outcome of this handling, thus it strikes or bites you get startled and wham we have a bite report or an injury or death to the T. Another thing,look at some fangs growing in excess of 2.5cm that is serious mechanical damage just compare to a normal finger and see the penetration. Remember,no fang is sterilized as well,so you are adding infection into the mix.

Added:
I can easily elaborate for pages on the above,many and many pages can be typed. I feel this is just the start,and you yourself needs to decide which way and ask questions accordingly. Thus a person can elaborate exactly in the direction you choose to go,just makes help so much easier since trying to bottle up it all in a reply will be impossible.

Last edited:

Crystal C

3 Year Member
Hi! I recently got my first tarantula. A sweet little curly hair juvie. And I have a Chaco Golden knee being shipped from tarantula canada in a week!
I don't know if this helps because I'm also new at tarantulas but I did alot of research and compiled a list for myself to help in MY decision. It went like this: 1. Chaco Golden Knee 2. Pink Zebra Beauty 3. Curly Hair 4. Mexican red knee 5. Mexican red rump 6. Rose Hair.
Every one kept telling me Rose Hairs are best but after I researchers the heck out of all of them the rosie made her way to the bottom of my list because of the lazyness and mood swings that you mentioned.
I'm really excited about my choices and good luck to you in yours! Let us know what you end up deciding!
Best of luck!
Crystal

Latest posts