• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the site.

Ace Robb

3 Year Member
Hello everyone. My name is Ace and I just created an account on here. I was checking it out and saw some really cool things and Im always down for people who love Ts. I just got my own personal first one about a month and a half ago an Avicularia bicegoi. Since then my girlfriend and I have gotten a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, a Lasiodora parahybana, a Grammostola rosea and the newest addition yesterday a Nhandu chromatus. Im looking forward to expanding my collection and meeting and talking to all of you. Have a great day.

Ace Robb

3 Year Member
I have so many that I want. Ive handled a few before I got mine but i was like screw it Im going to get one and now its like I need 500 lol. I love spiders in general but Ts are my favorite.

Ace Robb

3 Year Member
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
1554571_10152912017652362_5562872528856012686_n.jpg
Lasiodora parahybana
11078107_1005877909446873_6767907625721091257_n.jpg
Avicularia bicegoi
11149342_10152906152907362_7966576798362476504_n.jpg
Grammostola rosea
11295902_1010505532317444_6225435195743457525_n.jpg
Nhandu chromatus
10411082_10152940721562362_5740237297454622206_n.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I was the same, I bought my first 14 months ago to try to overcome arachnophobia, then I was stopping at 4 but I now have 36. The silly thing is I'm still scared of spiders, just love the Ts :D.

Ace Robb

3 Year Member
Haha alot of people are like that. But congrats on the overcoming of arachnophobia. I was scared of snakes and my girl was terrified of spiders so we made a compromise. Im working on snakes and she loves Ts now. Im still a little weary around snakes but im actually holding them now so thats a plus.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I loved getting people over their fear of snakes. I always found Royal Pythons were good to help people overcome their initial fears as they tend to stay still. Having kids around can help too as they are more likely not to be scared. I used to take some of my snakes to my Grandson's birthday parties and on one occasion there was a mum who was terrified when she saw them but the kids crowded round. As the afternoon wore on she gradually got closer, watching as the children handled them. Eventually she held a Royal, then a corn and finally a 6' boa.declaring that she now wanted a boa for herself. The joke was that her other half had always wanted a boa, she'd said no way and she was now going to have to admit to him that she'd fallen for mine as all her friends had taken pics to show him.

Ace Robb

3 Year Member
Right on. I ........... went to the reptile store i frequent and this dude has a little milksnake so i was like can i hold that? And dude said sure so he put it on my hand and i felt an instant connection with the snake. It was weird. So we go there the other day and i wanted to try to hold one again so i held a small hognose snake (which i didnt know was slightly venomous) then was like i wanna hold a bigger one so my buddy took out this 2 foot cornsnake and i held it and my buddy ended up buying a ball python that was there. Well my girl was asking me to hold that and i was like .... that its too big. Well my buddy that bought the snake was arachnephobic so i told him to hold one of the rose hairs there and he was like only if you hold my python while i do it and i was like .... it and did it. She was so calm it surprised me lol. I fell in love with her and he let the rose hair crawl on him a little and didnt freak out or anyting so we both made strides in that direction.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There is a theory that part of the human brain was programmed to alert us to danger from predators in prehistoric times and that snakes were one of them. Over time some of us have not overcome this program where others have. This explains why it seems such an irrational fear.

And yes Hognoses are rear fanged and slightly venomous but not dangerously so. The worst you will suffer from their bite if they do engage their fangs is swelling and what I can only describe as the sensation you get after a nettle sting which lasts only a few days and can be treated with antihistamine.

PamCz

3 Year Member
Right on. I was tripping on shrooms a few weeks ago and went to the reptile store i frequent and this dude has a little milksnake so i was like can i hold that? And dude said sure so he put it on my hand and i felt an instant connection with the snake. It was weird. So we go there the other day and i wanted to try to hold one again so i held a small hognose snake (which i didnt know was slightly venomous) then was like i wanna hold a bigger one so my buddy took out this 2 foot cornsnake and i held it and my buddy ended up buying a ball python that was there. Well my girl was asking me to hold that and i was like **** that its too big. Well my buddy that bought the snake was arachnephobic so i told him to hold one of the rose hairs there and he was like only if you hold my python while i do it and i was like **** it and did it. She was so calm it surprised me lol. I fell in love with her and he let the rose hair crawl on him a little and didnt freak out or anyting so we both made strides in that direction.
Welcome!! I'm the same as Enn, and many other people I've spoken with who also now collect...was afraid, now addicted! ;) I've been collecting T's for only a little over two months...and I've got 26 now. :rolleyes:

You've found a great place for info and a great place to share your addiction with others! LOL! :D

BTW, I can't even imagine facing a fear while tripping! lol...

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oof, how do I put this nicely? I would highly advise against handling any of your tarantulas while under the influence (of anything). We don't need to give the government more reasons to ban certain species from the pet trade. Before you call me paranoid, it has happened before and can easily happen again. I stay out of my spider room when I've been drinking or anything because I know I could end up doing something stupid and it just isn't worth ruining it for me and everyone else in the hobby. Just my two cents. Enjoy your tarantulas.

Ace Robb

3 Year Member
Yeah i don't mess with my Ts unless im completely sober. More for their sake than mine. I love them too much to risk anything happening to them. Especially the money ive put into a few of them.I look at them and thats about it. When i was tripping i did see their auras and felt a connection with them which gave me more of a love and respect for them. But believe me, Im a very responsible person.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Oof, how do I put this nicely? I would highly advise against handling any of your tarantulas while under the influence (of anything). We don't need to give the government more reasons to ban certain species from the pet trade. Before you call me paranoid, it has happened before and can easily happen again. I stay out of my spider room when I've been drinking or anything because I know I could end up doing something stupid and it just isn't worth ruining it for me and everyone else in the hobby. Just my two cents. Enjoy your tarantulas.
Nicely said Chubbs.
Also, Ace please refrain from the "f bombing" in your posts. Its not needed and could cause you to become banned from the forum.
Thank you and enjoy the hobby.

Ace Robb

3 Year Member
Nicely said Chubbs.
Also, Ace please refrain from the "f bombing" in your posts. Its not needed and could cause you to become banned from the forum.
Thank you and enjoy the hobby.
No offence but if that happens oh well. Im not gonna censor my speech. I live in America where I have to right to say whatever I want. And if someone here doesnt like it then I apologize but Im not changing who I am or how I speak. I appreciate you looking out for me and it is noted but if it happens it happens.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No offence but if that happens oh well. Im not gonna censor my speech. I live in America where I have to right to say whatever I want. And if someone here doesnt like it then I apologize but Im not changing who I am or how I speak. I appreciate you looking out for me and it is noted but if it happens it happens.
Those are kind of the forum rules.... there's really no way around it. This is not Nam there are rules. [emoji6]

In all seriousness, when you sign up for an internet forum, you are agreeing to their rules. If you don't follow said rules, there are consequences that could lead to possibly getting banned. I know you say you don't really care if that happens, but that kind of attitude isn't going to get you far here. Or on most forums.

Latest posts