• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the hobby

Costa cam

Hello to whoever sees this I was wondering for it was a right choice to get a Costa Rican zebra also known as Aphonopelma Seemanni. I’m new to this stuff and I don’t think i made the right choice on what spider to get I got this one no knowing there were skiddish and very fast. I’m a little stupid I’m worrying that i might kill her I have absolutely no clew what to feed her she’s a spiderling I don’t think I made the right choice. Do u have any advice?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi and welcome. :)
First of all calm down. You can cope with any T if you know what it's capable of.
Can you post a photo of your T and it's container? That way we can give you better advice.
I feed all my Ts on crickets, a sling will usually eat a small one every 5-7 days without any problem.

Costa cam

Thank you but I don’t have her just yet my dad ordered her off of fearnottarantulas they only ship on Tuesday and Wednesday’s but I’m just scared cause I don’t have a good history with keeping pets I had two bearded dragons they both died I’m just a little nervous cause I don’t want to kill anything else she is going to be a spiderling I think but I’m not sure is a spiderling going to be able to eat a cricket?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello, welcome to the forum & the hobby. The Aphonopelma Seemanni is a beautiful T & normally a very well behaved one too. It is a great way to get into the hobby.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the Forum!
If you ordered from Fearnotarantula, ask your father if he got the full package. The full package comes with everything you'll need (enclosure matching your sling's size, substract and usually food for a couple of weeks. Your spider will also come with well detailed instructions on how to care for it. If it is a very small sling, please do not try to handle her until she is at least a few inches wide.
Cheers.

Jeremy-psychonaut

Thank you but I don’t have her just yet my dad ordered her off of fearnottarantulas they only ship on Tuesday and Wednesday’s but I’m just scared cause I don’t have a good history with keeping pets I had two bearded dragons they both died I’m just a little nervous cause I don’t want to kill anything else she is going to be a spiderling I think but I’m not sure is a spiderling going to be able to eat a cricket?
I got my first T from Fear not I got the complete package deal they set you up pretty good
You can cut the prey items into small pieces slings will scavenge feed

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to this nice place. All you ever wanted to know, right here! :)

Costa cam

If anyone reads this plz respond quickly I’ve had my juvenile Costa Rican for about 4 hours now just came back to check on her and she’s covering her face with her legs I saw some ware it means there dying the death curl or something idk I’m freaking out just got her what do I do

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If anyone reads this plz respond quickly I’ve had my juvenile Costa Rican for about 4 hours now just came back to check on her and she’s covering her face with her legs I saw some ware it means there dying the death curl or something idk I’m freaking out just got her what do I do
It's likely its a stress curl as you've only just got it.. They need time to settle in and make themselves at home - do you have any pictures of your T and its enclosure it will help us to help you :)

Costa cam

A65319FF-E30F-4858-9241-F4378871E21E.jpeg

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It looks like it's a bit stressed - it's a very large enclosure for such a small sling if they feel exposed they get stressed - personally I'd rehouse it into a small deli cup, it may not look like the most attractive housing but for slings they are perfect you will have enough room to put a small hide, some moss and a tattoo ink pot /pill blister for a little water dish, you will find that your sling will settle better and be happier in a smaller set up :)

Latest posts