• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New member introduction

dieselchick

Good morning everyone! I’m new to the forum and currently looking to start my very first T collection. I’ve always had a love of spiders, and my spider experience consisted of various orb weavers, wolf spiders and the occasional cellar spider I would catch and house. I’m finally going to take the plunge and get my first Tarantula. I’ve been looking at grammostolas, P. chalcodes, homoeomma sp red, or possibly a L. Parahybana. GBB’s also look gorgeous as well as an OW M. Balfouri. Almost all of these spiders have been difficult to find at all, or in something bigger than a 1/2” sling. As someone new to the T world, are slings that small really difficult? Should I keep looking for a sling 1” or bigger?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello & welcome to both the hobby & the forum. The Homoeomma sp red is now the Homoeomma chilensis & it is more difficult to find than rocking horse manure, or they are here in the UK. But they do pop up from time to time.

The Lasiodora parahybana is readily available, a lovely & large species & here in the UK cheap to buy.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome.

Some of the Grammostola species are considered very good starter pets, although they can be somewhat slow growers.

I have been keeping Ts for a little less than two years so I am still fairly new. When I started the recommendation was slings 1+ inches for new keepers and I think that still holds true. That is because smaller ones can be more susceptible.

In my limited experience, my Ts went through a growth spurt after about 2 1/2 inches or so. For me 1 to 1.5 was a great size to start off with.

Since then I have dabbled in smaller Ts about half an inch and really enjoyed that after I got over my worries about them being so small and susceptible.

I keep G. pulchra, G. rosea and G. pulchripes which can be somewhat expensive at 1 inch or so as you have found. Although I think the G. pulchripes can be a bit cheaper.

Hopefully others with experience with other Ts will chime in and offer alternatives that may be more palatable to your budget.

Good luck and enjoy!

Latest posts