• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new enclosure

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When I drill my acrylic, I use a very small but to start, and go a lil bigger each time until I reCh the desired size. That way there are no chips, and the holes are nice n clean

If you don't have various bit sizes for acrylic, i've always taped the spot to drill to prevent chips and cracks. Unless I've goofed drilling the hole i have yet to have one come out with a flaw.

Other tips for drilling acrylic
  • Safety! Goggles or face shield, never wear gloves as they may get caught.
  • Make sure the drill bit is very sharp, acrylic bits are best or metal bits if you can't get acrylic, you can sharpen or hone them with a fine file or emery cloth. When i was making cases for some of my collections i'd have a few bits set aside that i used for only acrylic to keep from dulling them and ruining my acrylic project.
  • never use a wood bit, they're too dull and will ruin the acrylic with cracks and chipping.
  • Practice! Use a scrap piece and get comfy with the speed and pressure needed to prevent chipping and cracks.
You can also melt the holes, I don't like doing it that way but some prefer it. Use a soldering iron or a wood burning tool. I just hate the stink of burning plastic and I usually end up with a drip of melted acrylic where i don't want it and mess up the project, or I bump the iron somewhere and ruin it. I'm a bit of a klutz :) Also my hands are steadier with a heavy drill than an iron.

Latest posts