• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

need help with species

Sugar Wolf

With all this talk about water I just have to share a picture of my A. Avic drinking out of his hanging leaf water dish the other day :p

Attachments

• IMAG0017.jpg
    IMAG0017.jpg
    1,005 KB · Views: 20

Sugar Wolf

I don't ever mist my pink toes enclosure I keep my pink toe on dry substrate and water dish always full and with that and his good cross ventilation he does fantastic they don't really need damp substrate as long as there is good ventilation and they don't burrow at all so no reason to wet the substrate. Pink toes don't really require much.

Leena32

My sister just gave it tome but will replace them with cork as soon as I can also cause I really don’t know about it and rather be safe than sorry in the end

Greg

3 Year Member
need help with finding out the the species of this T i was gifted. it’s only a sling at the moment so it’s hard for me to identify it currently. also a new owner of a T
I was also thinking Avicularia, but your newer photo appears to show leg banding, which would put it in a different Genus altogether. It would be great if you could take it out and put it in a well lighted location for a photo.

Damien Spear

need help with finding out the the species of this T i was gifted. it’s only a sling at the moment so it’s hard for me to identify it currently. also a new owner of a T
Open the lid carefully and take a photo up close and in focus, with flash on, and I'll be able to tell you exactly what species it is. With 100% certainty. I've been keeping T's for roughly 17 years and had many species in that time. Quick question though: the person who gave it to you, didn't they tell you what species it was or what they suspected it might be? Also try and find out where the person who gave it to you got it from in the first place.

Damien Spear

Damien Spear

OK I've done a bit of digging but it is really hard to be 100% sure, given the current photos of it through a murky lid but if it is what I think it is then be VERY careful opening the lid. I think you've got a Heteroscodra Maculata, otherwise known as the Togo Starburt. They are Ornamental Only! I can't stress that enough. They are an extremely aggressive Old World species of tarantula that do not have urticating hairs meaning you don't get the warning that you get from New World species of them kicking hairs from their abdomen to tell you they're pissed! Instead they just rear up on their back legs showing you their fangs. Any more winding it up and it will bite.
My brother had one and I've seen how quick the can bolt out of their enclosure and escape into your house. Lucky I found it and got it back using a glass with a book underneath to scoop him up. But he kept trying to strike the glass and get to my fingers. Like I said... VERY Aggressive.
But this is just theory. Until you send me a clearer picture without the lid and in focus with the flash on. I can't be 100%. It's just the markings I can see in your photos. They match up to the pattern of the Togo Starburst.
Here is a photo of what the Togo Starburst looks like. Have a closer look for similar markings to those of your T.
Hope this helps.

All the best,

Damien Spear

Damien Spear

I was also thinking Avicularia, but your newer photo appears to show leg banding, which would put it in a different Genus altogether. It would be great if you could take it out and put it in a well lighted location for a photo.
I think its a Heteroscodra Maculata also known as the Togo Starburst tbh. The markings on its abdomen are Identical to the Starburst and it has the padded fluffy feet too.
But I agree without a picture in focus with the lid off and the flash on. I cannot be 100% sure. But if it is the Starburst, they are Ornamental and Extremely Aggressive so it cannot be taken out by hand and they bolt very fast aswell.

Damien

Emmabeth81

Hi hun looks very much like a caribena versicolour to me, but just incase I'm wrong and it is a togo starburst, please be very careful as the togo is an old world species and there venom is very painful if you get bit. I've also found with the tree spiders there partial to jumping and not afraid to jump out of the tank if needs be lol. Always have a catch cup to gand just incase. Your set looks great. With my my avic and versicolour, I have always found they thrive with good ventilation and dry conditions, but with a waterfowl. As it gets a lot older and bigger, perhaps try getting a front opening tank for easiness of care as they tend to build web tunnels right at the top where the lid is hun xxx

ArachnaFab

I will guess Caribena Versicolor. I am new to the hobby too but I just got a 2 inch CV and have been looking at a ton of pictures and videos online. I have mine in a nice Arboreal enclosure and so far so good! It is docile with a polite eating response and good appetite! Very pretty T also. Congrats!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12

Tarantulafeets

My brother had one and I've seen how quick the can bolt out of their enclosure and escape into your house. Lucky I found it and got it back using a glass with a book underneath to scoop him up. But he kept trying to strike the glass and get to my fingers. Like I said... VERY Aggressive.
Tarantulas are not aggressive, they are defensive, in this instance the spider thought of the glass as a threat, and tried to defend itself.

Otherwise, it looks like a new world avicularinae sp, the blueish color means it is probably Caribena versicolor or laeta, probably versi as it's more common.

Latest posts