• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Ts will NOT eat dubia..

Atx13

3 Year Member
They refuse to eat em.. I only offered dubia to my bigger Ts for a few weeks, they wouldn't take em, I offer crickets this afternoon, and it was a damn feeding party.. I don't get it.. I now have around 90 or so pet dubia just hanging out.. they're pretty cool, they eat a lot.. But not something I would normally keep as a pet.

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
I agree, they will come around eventually. Maybe mash the heads a bit so the dubia can't wander off and burrow. Crickets do tend to get a better feeding response, but they will eat the dubia if they get hungry. Some just take a while to get used to them.

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
likes its been suggest if they are hungry enough they will eat. I have notice that some species can be picking eaters as well. my 6 inch T. stirmi ran away from super worms (an experience I will never forget) , but inhales crickets like chicken nuggets. so when I switch to dubia I was concerned that she wouldn't eat them. the first time I tried to feed her dubia it didn't even touch the ground before she had it in its mouth. All I could say to her was "really"

Atx13

3 Year Member
My Ts are pretty spoiled, I have a cricket colony as is, and give them super worms from time to time. But they would rather have dubia for roommates than as a meal, lol.
My bigger H.vonwirthi picked a dubia up a couple nights ago, and I was excited, thinking she was gonna eat it.. she seriously moved it out of her area and went back to being annoyed that I was looking at her.
A couple of my smaller Ts have eaten dubia for me, but I really have to keep em off other foods, in order for that to happen.
My adult Ts hadn't eaten in over a month before last night, and I had been only offering them the dubia. I could tell they were hungry, since my haplopelmas were out in the open, the other terrestrials had started pacing and climbing.
I offered them each a dubia, no one took it, I offered some crickets, and they went crazy... my adult female A.avic ate 3 med. Crickets..

Latest posts