• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My T is teaching me patience.

ALD

3 Year Member
I am a person with anxiety issues. So, I always panic and I am impatient with a lot of things. I always assume the worst. It's a flaw I know. I try to work on it. Since getting my GBB she has taught me- to just chill out. It's all good. I have to keep reminding myself. Latest example- I went to feed her a cricket and I'm not sure if I startled her or if she is in premolt, but she ran to the other side of the enclosure. The cricket got ensnared in webbing under her hide. My first instinct was to freak out. I must have to get it out. But then I remembered. Chill out. She'll calm down and make her way back to her hide and find the cricket. She'll kill it if it bothers her. I worry because I don't want a live cricket in there if she molts- nor do I want it to expire under the hide and I have to get it. Then I remember- chill out. She is not THAT fragile. Let it play out. So, that's what I'm doing. Little things like that. That is how she is teaching me patience. It helps me in a way. Can anyone else relate?

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Usually they create a web mat or web fortress before molting. My pokie makes one on the vertical corner of the glass. An army of crickets couldn't get to him.

New world Ts will lay down molting mats lined with urticating hairs that usually will immobilize and kill anything stupid enough to try anything most of the time.

Still, accidents happen.

One thing I do and it's not a standard tactic is to have a small bottle cap with cricket chow in it. The cricket will take the path of least resistance and eat the chow rather then tangle with a dangerous predator. It also keeps them gut loaded as well.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Usually they create a web mat or web fortress before molting. My pokie makes one on the vertical corner of the glass. An army of crickets couldn't get to him.

New world Ts will lay down molting mats lined with urticating hairs that usually will immobilize and kill anything stupid enough to try anything most of the time.

Still, accidents happen.

One thing I do and it's not a standard tactic is to have a small bottle cap with cricket chow in it. The cricket will take the path of least resistance and eat the chow rather then tangle with a dangerous predator. It also keeps them gut loaded as well.
I do the same, only I use a chip of carrot or a piece of spinach. I carried the practice over from keeping lizards. It can't hurt imo

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just drop the prey item near the tarantula, if you really want to test your patience, try raising a P. cancerides after experience with 4-5 more tarantulas, they will really test you.

ALD

3 Year Member
I just drop the prey item near the tarantula, if you really want to test your patience, try raising a P. cancerides after experience with 4-5 more tarantulas, they will really test you.
I'm sure!!!

Yeah,

I drop them near her as well. This time she just went the other direction.

ALD

3 Year Member
So, the cricket went to the water bowl and I was changing it out tonight so he survived until next week. I'll try again. Maybe a molt is upon us :) I'm glad I did not mess with anything. She's teaching me to just let stuff be.

Latest posts