• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My pulchra is NOT a pulchra...don't know what it is...do YOU know?!

dragonfly_dust

3 Year Member
I recently put up molt pics of my pulchra with its now his adult color at 3.5 inches in length on a different T forum.

The response was an overwhelming "sorry to say this but it's not a pulchra". This is due to the inconsistent black color on the legs and the triangle on the eye area.

So now I have a mystery T that I'm trying to figure out what is it. Here are the latest pics. Anyone have a thought on the species?

pulchra_gains_adult_color__by_mydragonflydust-d5w279o.jpg

pulchra_gains_adult_color__2_by_mydragonflydust-d5w27fx.jpg

pulchra_gains_adult_color__3_by_mydragonflydust-d5w27j3.jpg

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
looks like an Aphonopelma Behlei. Let it harden and post some more pics and we'll be able to make a better guess.

Atx13

3 Year Member
Looks like a california black, or whatever they're called.. not 100% sure on the scientific name, when I get on my comp ill let ya no.

Atx13

3 Year Member
Kenny with the save! That's the one I was thinking of.. I have a hard time remembering most of the north american species of Ts.

dragonfly_dust

3 Year Member
That still doesn't explain the light forelegs tho...also this T has LARGE fangs much like a pulchra. Does a A. reversum have that too?

BTW the light-colored forelegs has been the same color in both pre-molt and post-molt.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Aphonopelma Females can get very large Chilecerae.
and individual members of a specific species can vary greatly in color. Go to Arachnoboards and look through the Aphonopelma gallery.

Atx13

3 Year Member
Still a beautiful T regardless of what it really is :).
Are you 100% sure its a male?

Latest posts