• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My First Dirt Curtains! P. irminia

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I've been keeping tarantulas for decades, but I really don't have a lot of experience. A lot of time passed, but I didn't learn much. I've raised and kept about a dozen over the years, but only recently have I really started studying, learning and acquiring new species. I got this one from @Casey K. a few weeks ago, and I've really been enjoying him/her. Its already molted once, and I love the way it runs around and actively hunts down the prey.

I've read about arboreals and their dirt curtains, but I've never seen it before in person. I had a pink toe many years ago, but it never did this. Lucky for me, my spider seems a little confused about where the dirt curtains should be made and what they are for. He built them in such a way that he is in full view when he's inside his lair and "behind" his curtains. Lucky for me! This guy has not refused a meal to date, and he/she is my current favorite spider to feed. Always exciting and fun. Tonight was no exception.

IMG_5998.JPG

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've been keeping tarantulas for decades, but I really don't have a lot of experience. A lot of time passed, but I didn't learn much. I've raised and kept about a dozen over the years, but only recently have I really started studying, learning and acquiring new species. I got this one from @Casey K. a few weeks ago, and I've really been enjoying him/her. Its already molted once, and I love the way it runs around and actively hunts down the prey.

I've read about arboreals and their dirt curtains, but I've never seen it before in person. I had a pink toe many years ago, but it never did this. Lucky for me, my spider seems a little confused about where the dirt curtains should be made and what they are for. He built them in such a way that he is in full view when he's inside his lair and "behind" his curtains. Lucky for me! This guy has not refused a meal to date, and he/she is my current favorite spider to feed. Always exciting and fun. Tonight was no exception.

View attachment 30777
With my terrestrial Ts I never know whether they've actually blocked their homes to moult in which case I shouldn't feed them or whether they've just installed dirt curtains and will come out if they feel prey vibrations.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
With my terrestrial Ts I never know whether they've actually blocked their homes to moult in which case I shouldn't feed them or whether they've just installed dirt curtains and will come out if they feel prey vibrations.
Since most of my new tarantulas are little babies, and one or more of them are in pre-molt, molting, or post-molt, I face this dilemma daily now.

Latest posts