• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My A. Versicolor made a phantom egg sac!

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My A. Versicolor recently hid away for a few months which is very unlike her. I thought she'd moulted although she never pushed the old skin out. Turns out she had made and nursed a phantom egg sac and this morning she'd put it next to her water dish.
I know it's not a fertile one, because I've had her from sling/juvie and she's never been with a male, but didn't know tarantulas do that :eek:. It's very fascinating (although my husband is a bit freaked and insists I put the sac in the freezer before sealing it in a bag and binning it lol).
:T:
AW95Qht.jpg

R9iv1OW.jpg

M7nJfhq.jpg

At least I know now that she's 100% female :D

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My A. Versicolor recently hid away for a few months which is very unlike her. I thought she'd moulted although she never pushed the old skin out. Turns out she had made and nursed a phantom egg sac and this morning she'd put it next to her water dish.
I know it's not a fertile one, because I've had her from sling/juvie and she's never been with a male, but didn't know tarantulas do that :eek:. It's very fascinating (although my husband is a bit freaked and insists I put the sac in the freezer before sealing it in a bag and binning it lol).
:T:
AW95Qht.jpg

R9iv1OW.jpg

M7nJfhq.jpg

At least I know now that she's 100% female :D
A mature female versi I had several years ago did this too and strangely enough, in the same enclosure a praying mantis (after the versi died naturally). Was in my daughters bedroom both times so maybe it's an estrogen thing......lol

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, my spiders are in the living room, but suppose if you count the non-human females in our house (1 dog, so far 7 out of 9 confirmed female tarantulas) estrogen could be floating around lol.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, my spiders are in the living room, but suppose if you count the non-human females in our house (1 dog, so far 7 out of 9 confirmed female tarantulas) estrogen could be floating around lol.
I have 4 daughters so I can almost smell it......although they do try to mask it with all sorts of perfume....lol

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have 4 daughters so I can almost smell it......although they do try to mask it with all sorts of perfume....lol
I have 3 sons, it's not testosterone yet (maybe with my oldest, he's 14), but I can DEFINITELY smell something from their rooms, and it's not pretty lol

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah.....all the warning signs are there for a whole world of sensory pain! :p
I remember when we stayed in an Army camp in Northern Ireland a squadron of Royal Marines bunked in the gym hall for the marching season support. It was nice from a purely aesthetic POV watching a bunch of well built soldiers (well, technically sailors :p) exercising, but you couldn't walk by the gym without a hazmat suit and respirator lol.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
febreeze.... It's the only way i can go into my son's room for more than a few minutes at a time. I can't hold my breath for much longer than that ;)

Latest posts