• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Movie recommendations

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Anyone got any recommendations for any good films, series, documentaries, etc. you've seen on Netflix or normal TV?
Seeing as we're still getting loads of rain and crappy cold weather here, I want to snuggle in and watch something good!
The devil and father amorth: a documentary about demonic posession.

There are others I can think of, but I don't know how different Netflix is in your area than here in the states.

Last edited:

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
The devil and father amorth: a documentary about demonic posession.

There are others I can think of, but I don't know how different Netflix is in your area than here in the state.

Just watched it. The bishop of LA was a bit of a shock to me, with the stuff he was saying, he actually said the devil was good. Why on earth did they make him a bishop if he doesn't even believe the basics?

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I started watching Black Sails when it first came out in the UK but kind of stopped watching it because I was too knackered in the evenings to watch anything! And never went back to it. Cheers for reminding me because it was pretty good. Will have to check out Vikings too. I remember seeing trailers for it and it did look right up my street.

Dog Soldiers was great. Seen it a couple of times. Definitely underrated.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I love a good horror or action movie but my favourite film of all time is a classic (1953) British comedy called Genevieve. This is based around the London to Brighton vintage car run & features a great music score by Larry Adler.
Genevieve is a 1904 12hp Darracq & it still takes part in the Brighton run.

Another great British film is the One that got away starring Hardy Kruger. Made in 1957 it is based on the biography of the same name about WW2 german pilot Franz Von Werra, the only German prisoner of war to escape allied imprisonment & return to Germany & the war. Von Werra later died in action.

The film is based upon what we know of Von Werra's capture, interrogation & time in various British POW camps & his numerous escapes. At one point he talked his way onto an RAF base & then not only got access to a restricted area, but also managed to get into the ****pit of a development & thus top secret Spitfire. Van Werra was an amazing person & the film shows him as the hero.

The third film I really rate highly is Christiane F, this is the biography of christiane felscherinow, who at 12 years old lived in Hamburg & was a big David Bowie fan. The film thus features Davids music. By 14 she was a heroin addicted prostitute. The film is hard to find dubbed in English on DVD, but I have the old Video version & it is a film that every should watch.

Christiane F is based upon Christian's autobiography Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo (We Children of Bahnhof Zoo.) Bahnhof Zoo being Berlins railway station Bahnhof Berlin Zoologischer Garten where 14 year old Christiane worked as a proustite with other young boys & girls. This is a bleak film, but very watchable.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I love a good horror or action movie but my favourite film of all time is a classic (1953) British comedy called Genevieve. This is based around the London to Brighton vintage car run & features a great music score by Larry Adler.
Genevieve is a 1904 12hp Darracq & it still takes part in the Brighton run.

Another great British film is the One that got away starring Hardy Kruger. Made in 1957 it is based on the biography of the same name about WW2 german pilot Franz Von Werra, the only German prisoner of war to escape allied imprisonment & return to Germany & the war. Von Werra later died in action.

The film is based upon what we know of Von Werra's capture, interrogation & time in various British POW camps & his numerous escapes. At one point he talked his way onto an RAF base & then not only got access to a restricted area, but also managed to get into the ****pit of a development & thus top secret Spitfire. Van Werra was an amazing person & the film shows him as the hero.

The third film I really rate highly is Christiane F, this is the biography of christiane felscherinow, who at 12 years old lived in Hamburg & was a big David Bowie fan. The film thus features Davids music. By 14 she was a heroin addicted prostitute. The film is hard to find dubbed in English on DVD, but I have the old Video version & it is a film that every should watch.

Christiane F is based upon Christian's autobiography Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo (We Children of Bahnhof Zoo.) Bahnhof Zoo being Berlins railway station Bahnhof Berlin Zoologischer Garten where 14 year old Christiane worked as a proustite with other young boys & girls. This is a bleak film, but very watchable.

I'll check out the other ones, but when you mentioned Christina F, I sort of got goosebumps. My sister had the book so I read it as a young teenager. The film was so good. Hard-hitting, and so real you actually find yourself questioning whether or not the actors are taking drugs lol. Its one of those films that stays with you long after you've seen it.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I only just got Netflix last month, a couple movies besides the one I posted a few days ago are:

Triple frontier
Hurricane heist

A documentary:

Los Tigres Del Norte at folsom prison- Spanish language documentary about a legendary band famous for its Mexican music and their 2018 performance at folsom prison on the anniversary of the day Johnny Cash did the same thing in the 60's. The documentary has interviews with inmates as well. It is subtitled, if you're curious.

Series:

The punisher
The witcher

E

ExMember

I watch almost exclusively political/historical documentaries. Could recommend 1000's literally. But when it comes to movies I would recommend:

Dredd Loved this one! Even if the plot was stolen from a south Korean movie. Totally made up for that ****ty Stallone one from the 90's. Will probably wait my whole life for a sequel:(

The Hole (2001) Easily one of the most disturbing movies I have seen. I think this was made in the UK. Really does a number on your head though.

Man Bites Dog (1992) This one is pretty messed up. Cult classic from Belgium. A serial killer hires a camera crew to follow him around documenting. Predates the reality tv craze too. It is subtitled though.

Romper Stomper This movie is banned in a lot of countries. Kinda like American History X but way more brutal.

Dead Alive One of, if not the first Peter Jackson movies. Also probably the goriest movie ever made. Beware the rat monkey!

If ya haven't guessed by now I like really disturbing movies for some reason. I grew up watching horror movies from the time I was little. Only non documentary movie that really messed me up? Jaws! I was terrified of sharks for years after that. Now they are by far my favorite animals! :)

Latest posts