• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Most aggresive and most docile T in your collection?

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
Thank you! I thought Ouija would be perfect for a mysterious, lustrous Brazilian Black. :)

Well you thought correctly :) I have an OBT and a B. smithi coming I'm drumming up names for :) Leaning towards something comical, like Spot for the smithi and maybe Baby for the OBT :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Most aggressive. Thailand Golden Fringe (recently sold on to make space, not because she was aggressive). Currently for the size (just over 1") I would have to say Mt H. Pulchripes....gave the full on standing on hind legs threat posture to me the other day.
Most docile..... A. Geniculata. I say docile, she sits smack bang in the middle of the tank all the time, until you put food in and then runs away from crickets.....until she realises what they are and then it's game over.

Here is my GBB in threat mode too. Was only giving her a drink too......lol
SDC10227.JPG

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Haha, both my GBBs are rather sweet, if a little skittish. I keep hearing about defensive GBBs lately..never heard it before, and now I've heard it three times in as many days and see a pic of one actually threat posing. Nice :)
Just a shame she was in a big 190 litre aquarium at the time so the angle was all wrong for the photo as I was looking straight down. Can still see she wasn't really ready for her close up....lol

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Was talking to a friend earlier about how tarantulas have their own individual personalities. We both have G.rosea's. Both from the same eggsac....but the one he has is quite skittish and semi aggressive and mine is a sweetheart. So I was wondering.... Which tarantulas do you consider the most aggressive in your collection...and which one the most docile? My A.geniculata is beautiful , but definitely the most aggressive and my G.pulchripes and G.rosea are very chilled. :)
Most dicile....
My G porteri OR my Avic avic
Most aggressive.....not even close. My adult female T stirmi. My OBT is still a sling, tho, so I'm a year it may change

timc

3 Year Member
Most dicile....
My G porteri OR my Avic avic
Most aggressive.....not even close. My adult female T stirmi. My OBT is still a sling, tho, so I'm a year it may change
Oh yes it will change. My OBT was a perfectly normal spider until it hit about and inch and three quarters...then it became some hell spawn bent on the destruction of any who dare enter her enclosure. Tongs, water, a slight breeze, none are safe!!!!:eek:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh yes it will change. My OBT was a perfectly normal spider until it hit about and inch and three quarters...then it became some hell spawn bent on the destruction of any who dare enter her enclosure. Tongs, water, a slight breeze, none are safe!!!!:eek:
I'm fond of spiders with attitude, not so fond of hiders. I still love my obts though. Wouldn't trade them or sell them, ever. A must have, for any collection. Mine aren't that bad, but they're still the most funny spazzes in my bunch. Most of the rest cooperate during a rehouse. Pulling an obt out of its house is like winding up a psychotic energizer bunny.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I'm fond of spiders with attitude, not so fond of hiders. I still love my obts though. Wouldn't trade them or sell them, ever. A must have, for any collection. Mine aren't that bad, but they're still the most funny spazzes in my bunch. Most of the rest cooperate during a rehouse. Pulling an obt out of its house is like winding up a psychotic energizer bunny.
My balfouri sling has a BAD additude and throws a threat pose as soon as I take the lid off. If I fill its water dish, or move a piece of web, it attacks. Lol. Once it ran onto my hand, like a bat out of hell, and threat postured so much, it damn near fell over backwards. So cute

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
Haha, both my GBBs are rather sweet, if a little skittish. I keep hearing about defensive GBBs lately..never heard it before, and now I've heard it three times in as many days and see a pic of one actually threat posing. Nice :)

They sense Hilary is running for President lol

kroogur

3 Year Member
Least problematic: Jojo my A.Avic she is the most docile thing I have ever seen, never uses the "poop cannon" and my go to T when someone is interesting getting into the hobby or over their fear of spiders.

Most problematic: Snackapus my P.Canceridies she has come at me a few times and is more foul tempered than any of my 4 obt's or my S.Calceatum :mad:

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member

Tell me, please, as I have my very first OBT 2 inch sling on it's way from Inland Sea Exotics ((shout out to Michael, great guy, great pricing).
Do you think, as an adult mind you, a five or a ten gallon would suit it? I am thinking of beginning it, as it is already 2 inches, in the tank it will live its life out in. And, if at the moment it seems a bit too big for the T, I was going to section the tank off with dividers and simply remove them as the T gets bigger rather than going through the " I need a bottle of valium after that and maybe drop one in the things water dish while I'm at it" experience of rehousing them :)

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
My balfouri sling has a BAD additude and throws a threat pose as soon as I take the lid off. If I fill its water dish, or move a piece of web, it attacks. Lol. Once it ran onto my hand, like a bat out of hell, and threat postured so much, it damn near fell over backwards. So cute

lol fall over backwards.. that's too funny :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
so for mine, the most docile is the B. vagans. He's one of those as @Tomoran has described his E. sp. Red. I've never seen him move any faster than a slow walk to look at stuff, unless he was pouncing on a pinhead lateralis, i fill his water dish and he just moseys over to look at it.

I don't buy aggressive species, like @Meludox i think it was posted earlier. I collect the calmer NW terrestrial species, but if i had to pick the most temperamental it would be the GBB. He's the only one that has flicked hairs at me. But he calms down really quickly after. I've never seen a threat pose from him except at a cricket during premolt. He's also the only one I've handled. And i don't handle any intentionally. I was filling his water dish and he decided to climb up and out the opening in the kritter keeper top, so i let him crawl into my palm. Took the lid off and gently guided him back to the substrate. After he went back to his corner, he then flicked hairs at me, like he was upset i didn't let him escape or something ;)

For my son, the GBB is the most docile, he handles him quite often. For the aggressive it was either the boehmei or vagans that flicked hairs at him.

I'd put my genic up there as the docile also, but he seems a bit moody. Sometimes i'll fill his water dish and he won't do anything, the next time he'll run, or spin like he's going to flick hairs. He's been hiding lately in premolt, and we haven't had him long enough to get to know his temperment yet.

All my other T's are itty bitty. The Rosea is terrified of everthing, but then at just under 1/4" i would be also ;) The B. albos have dug in and are rarely seen so i have no idea how their temperament is.

@Wg25 You have to get a GBB. It's what got me into this hobby :) Not sure how available they are in SA, we got ours from Ken the Bug guy, 3/4" for $49.99 back in May. Kind of amazing we're almost at a year into this now :)

Stevoblue

3 Year Member
Right now my T's are opposite. My OBT is the most docile. Not that I would ever do it but she could be handled. A.vesicolor sling is a terror. Super protective of its webbing and strikes dubias like a lightning bolt. Who knows what they will be like in the future.

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tell me, please, as I have my very first OBT 2 inch sling on it's way from Inland Sea Exotics ((shout out to Michael, great guy, great pricing).
Do you think, as an adult mind you, a five or a ten gallon would suit it? I am thinking of beginning it, as it is already 2 inches, in the tank it will live its life out in. And, if at the moment it seems a bit too big for the T, I was going to section the tank off with dividers and simply remove them as the T gets bigger rather than going through the " I need a bottle of valium after that and maybe drop one in the things water dish while I'm at it" experience of rehousing them :)
Lol! :) just do it in the bathtub, with a catchcup ready, and try to stay calm when they explode into action :) Soon, you'll find it amusing and actually look forward to rehousing the spiders with character.

swimbait

3 Year Member

No need to add dividers if it is a 5 gallon tank. I personally wouldn't put a 2inch T in a 10 gallon. Your OBT will likely pick a small spot and web it up and stay there till it feels the need to make a bigger home. I like to keep my smaller OBTs in smaller enclosures because they web everything top to bottom

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A 5 gallon tank is plenty of room for an adult OBT. I personally wouldn't even bother putting an adult in something as big as a 10 gallon. Both are far too large for a 2 inch juvie IMO. I do feel you're over complicating things a bit. I understand you're nervous about rehousing it, but all you have to do is guide it into a deli cup with a paintbrush. You might also want to look into the bag method and the bottle method for rehousing fast and/Or defensive species. Always keep a few extra catch cups around the area and do it in a room where there isn't a lot of objects for the spider to hide under should it make a run for it. Remember, if the tarantula tries to run just let it run. It has to stop after a few seconds anyway, and this is when you'd move in with the catch cup. You want to be quick, but also careful not to crush one of its legs with the edge of the cup. NEVER slam or drop the lid to the enclosure down if the spider bolts. Working with old worlds isn't as difficult as many make it out to be, but it does take very calm nerves.

Last edited:

Latest posts