• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Most aggresive and most docile T in your collection?

Wg25

3 Year Member
S.calceatum, I have two, and while one is worse than the other, both will put even an OBT to shame. I do not take the lid off for more than a few seconds, I never turn my back to them, or take my eyes off of them. I always make sure I know where the spider is before doing anything in the enclosure, including simply removing the lid. My current OBT is very mean and will lunge towards the lid so I am very quick to put it back on after dropping the cricket in. Much like S.calceatum I consider that species as a whole to be pretty unpredictable, and I don't let my guard down around them.
I have heard from a ton of people that the feather leg baboon are demons when it comes to their temper. But man they are beautiful!

Wg25

3 Year Member
My only actively aggressive spider is my G pulchripes. He's almost gotten me a few times, I've never seen a spider behave like him. I have several docile spiders, the most docile being probably the big male Lp I got on a breeding loan. I've held him several times. In fact most of the more tolerant spiders I've run into were mature males, who seem to have other business on their mind and can't be bothered to get defensive with me. This guy crawled out of the packaging and right onto my hand when he arrived. Something I wouldn't recommend, as they can get stressed in the mail and a little bitey. He's never shown an ounce of aggression or even skittishness.
Feel the same MassExodus. Male's always seem to be very chilled and females can sometimes get a bit cranky.....just like with people ;) haha me and a friend have had a male G.pulchripes for almost 3 years and he is sooo gentle

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
I desperately want a Gbb....but all of my friends who has one..say they are very defensive? But man they are absolutely gorgeous! :)

?? I have one. It's actually the one in my avatar photo. Her name is Jewelz, although now I am being told it is probably a he, but, no matter, as you can see, Jewelz is sitting happily on my knee cap while I took pics with my iPhone. She will kick hairs at me when I disturb her, but she quiets down quite easily. Now, a T is like any other person for the most part, and have their own personalities. I have even seen videos on youtube of people who handle their OBT's like they were nothing more than a G. rosea.. something I would never do because it matters not to the T whether they get some TLC from us or not as long as they are housed properly and fed adequately, but it's fun to watch a chick with balls of steel hamming it up with something that would make a dozen biker dudes poop their panties =)

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member

micheldied

3 Year Member
This was by far the nicest T I owned. Very odd for a Psalmopoeus in that she was a very gentle feeder (those most gentle T I've had) and never moved faster than a Brachypelma.

Attachments

• 050.JPG
    050.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 20

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
I desperately want a Gbb....but all of my friends who has one..say they are very defensive? But man they are absolutely gorgeous! :)

They are skittish buggers, some of them really like flicking hair. Mine isn't a huge hair flicker but it went through a period of time where it would threat pose whenever I came near the enclosure. It doesn't do it anymore but it was certainly strange.

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
Definitely considering this beauty!

I think they are a must have in any collection. They web like no other tarantula I currently have! I bought mine as an adult female but heard they are a blast to raise from slings since they have a ferocious appetite. Only time my GBB has refused a meal is when she was approaching a molt.

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
They are skittish buggers, some of them really like flicking hair. Mine isn't a huge hair flicker but it went through a period of time where it would threat pose whenever I came near the enclosure. It doesn't do it anymore but it was certainly strange.

PMS most likely :D

Wg25

3 Year Member
I think they are a must have in any collection. They web like no other tarantula I currently have! I bought mine as an adult female but heard they are a blast to raise from slings since they have a ferocious appetite. Only time my GBB has refused a meal is when she was approaching a molt.
Yeah! And they also sport some awesome colours as slings! They are just a bit expensive! But I think its totaly worth it! :)

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
Yeah! And they also sport some awesome colours as slings! They are just a bit expensive! But I think its totaly worth it! :)

Check with Inland Sea Exotics. Michael is more than inexpensive when it comes to pricing his T's. I found a B. smithi sling for $20 and a 2" OBT for $12, 3 day shipping $10, overnight the usual $39. He may have a GBB for you for a good price. I've included the link below. Good luck!

inlandseaexotics.com

[email protected]

Wg25

3 Year Member
In south- africa the rand is weak in comparison to the dollar. I bought my B.Smithi sling for R70 which is about $4. So I think I will pay way more if ship a tarantula. But thanks anyway @ Lady lilith

Fleas

3 Year Member
All three of my Euathlus sp red are the most docile T's I ever came across they are just so curious. Evan breeding them was a bit of a hassle they just wanted to explore had to put the lid back on immediately after I put the MM in then watch them doing laps around each other for hours intell they crossed paths, then it was on lol. My obt starts striking if I move the enclosure it really funny all you hear is thumping from a hole:T:

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not a defensive species what-so-ever. They are pretty skittish and will often kick off urticating hairs like crazy when bothered, but I have never seen anything resembling defensive behavior from any of the ones I've had over the years. Actually I'm pretty care-free when working in the terrarium and rehousing mine. I just watch my fingers (not much of a concern anyway since I use tongs), because as you may have heard, GBB's have one of the most incredible feeding responses of any tarantula, and they will mistake just about anything that moves for prey. They're also a bit on the speedy, but I still consider them a bit slow after some of the species I've worked with since I acquired my first GBB. They're capable of surprising bursts of speed, but it's nothing like some of the Old Worlds. Even many Avics are faster than GBBs. Given that each individual spider comes with its own personality regardless of the species, I'm not at all surprised that a few people have had rather feisty ones, but it's definitely not the norm for this species.

On a side note, while GBBs are incredible webbers, Chilobrachys will put them to shame in this department. Same thing with Ceratogyrus sp. If they are housed a certain way.

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
All three of my Euathlus sp red are the most docile T's I ever came across they are just so curious. Evan breeding them was a bit of a hassle they just wanted to explore had to put the lid back on immediately after I put the MM in then watch them doing laps around each other for hours intell they crossed paths, then it was on lol. My obt starts striking if I move the enclosure it really funny all you hear is thumping from a hole:T:

that is too funny! I plan on housing my OBT this way: as it is a 2 inch sling already, I find no reason why it cannot be put directly into the tank it will live and grow old in. I think it is easier to section one part off with a piece of plexi glass, perhaps a third for now, if not half, so as to give it a cozier safer feeling space, and as it grows, rather than having to rehouse the "I don't really know you and even though you feed me I still want to kill you cause that's how I roll" critter, I can simply and CAUTIOUSLY, remove one divider at a time, leaving the darling's hide and web in tact... odd I can feel the adrenaline rush simply typing these words. LOL

Wg25

3 Year Member
Not a defensive species what-so-ever. They are pretty skittish and will often kick off urticating hairs like crazy when bothered, but I have never seen anything resembling defensive behavior from any of the ones I've had over the years. Actually I'm pretty care-free when working in the terrarium and rehousing mine. I just watch my fingers (not much of a concern anyway since I use tongs), because as you may have heard, GBB's have one of the most incredible feeding responses of any tarantula, and they will mistake just about anything that moves for prey. They're also a bit on the speedy, but I still consider them a bit slow after some of the species I've worked with since I acquired my first GBB. They're capable of surprising bursts of speed, but it's nothing like some of the Old Worlds. Even many Avics are faster than GBBs. Given that each individual spider comes with its own personality regardless of the species, I'm not at all surprised that a few people have had rather feisty ones, but it's definitely not the norm for this species.

On a side note, while GBBs are incredible webbers, Chilobrachys will put them to shame in this department. Same thing with Ceratogyrus sp. If they are housed a certain way.
Good to know! Thanks for sharing chubbs!

Latest posts