• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mated my p metalica female with salmon pink

Wolfclans

Two different genus' will not reproduce. Physically impossible for that to happen. Hybridizing only takes away from mother natures natural beauty. It disrupts her cycle. Kinda like oil spills in the ocean. Not a very nice thing for her to have to endure. There have been some instances in the wild where hybridizing has occurred but that's where it should stay....in the wild. Evolution will run its course. Hybridizing in the hobby is wrong. It should be illegal if you ask me but thats just my honest opinion.
With today's Mating anything is possible ppl breed different types of dogs I'm gonna do some research see if it is even possible. They would kill another instead of mating or run away.

Spangengi

New keeper here, what actually is the issue with hybridizing? Is it because it'll botch the gene pool? Or is it just a taboo? (not planning on breeding hybrids if it comes across that way, just curious)

Suzjohn

I'm kidding.. I'm terrified of spodens,, my man has around 15 and I asked him the other day about breading I thought u could mix bread and he told me no, I just wanted to see the reactions for myself. Clearly it's something you guys don't do then .x

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
With today's Mating anything is possible ppl breed different types of dogs I'm gonna do some research see if it is even possible. They would kill another instead of mating or run away.

It's possible for two species under the same genus to breed but is not possible for 2 different genus' to breed and produce.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sometimes threads like these are good to have because it gives folks an insight on why you do NOT attempt to cross breed two tarantulas of two different genus'. Not going to happen. Breeding two different species under the same genus has happened but it is ONLY supposed to happen in the wild. If you are found to be hybridizing tarantulas in the hobby I can assure you that you would receive no respect from any of the reputable breeders or hobbyists in this forum. No one condones it. Think of it this way, if you breed 2 different species under the same genus, that entire batch of tarantulas is basically ruined (genetically) because they are no longer "pure". You sell them. Let's say a few go to other breeders who want to use them for breeding later on down the road (that don't know the sac isn't pure)....then the sacs they produce will be hybridized. No person that has ANY respect for these animals or this hobby would condone or produce sacs of hybrids. Period.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
New keeper here, what actually is the issue with hybridizing? Is it because it'll botch the gene pool? Or is it just a taboo? (not planning on breeding hybrids if it comes across that way, just curious)

It's bad for genetics. If you are on the market for a poodle.... pure blood....you don't want it to be crossed with some other breed of dog and have bad genetics. You want a poodle with 100% poodle DNA. Not a mix of poodle and labrador. Feel me? :)

Frogdaddy

3 Year Member
It's bad for genetics. If you are on the market for a poodle.... pure blood....you don't want it to be crossed with some other breed of dog and have bad genetics. You want a poodle with 100% poodle DNA. Not a mix of poodle and labrador. Feel me? :)
Plus it's kind of a God complex in humans. Evolution has taken millions of years to build the perfect spider, perfectly adapted to it's natural environment. Some uneducated humans think they can improve on what took tens of millions of years to perfect. They create Frankenstein monsters that could only be made in the lab as they don't exist in nature.
If you wish to produce hybrids why don't you volunteer your human child to me so I can experiment and create a freakish monster just like you want to.
It's immoral, unethical, and just plain dumb.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What do you mean, this thread is bad :mad:

It's a bad topic but should be informing because a lot of people that are new hobbyists don't understand how detrimental it is to the species of tarantulas to hybridize them. It's a topic that's mostly avoided because you'll always have this one person that will attempt to do so.....that person needs to be educated on this so I suppose it's a good thing. As far as the acceptance of hybridized tarantulas I know of some people that will humanely kill them by placing them in the freezer. It's not the spiders fault but it's unnatural unless it happens in the wild. To leave these tarantulas in the hobby and in the hands of an irresponsible person will be bad for the rest of the pure genetics in the event someone tries to breed them. I totally smell "troll" in this thread, however, my willingness to educate those who are uneducated always takes over that side of me. I always try to do the right thing....regardless my opinions about the subject.

Latest posts