• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Luck with Expos???

IMAGINE1391

3 Year Member
So I’ve been looking around online for a female Tarantula of some kind anywhere from 3-5 inches, one that is well established but still has a bit of growing as well to reach 6-8 inches or so. After Tuesday I will have 3 slings, a juvenile, and a sub adult in my total collection.

Now I’m looking for a pretty big Tarantula to add and I want a long life ahead of it but they are a bit pricey. So I’ve been looking into Reptile Expos near me and I’m thinking about giving one a visit to see what I find. I’m not gonna be extremely picky but I was gonna ask you guys what kind of luck have you had going to these and if it would be worth my time.

There is one coming up in a week in Cincinnati which is about 45-50 minutes from me or I could take a step further and make a little road trip to Tinley Park which sounds like it’s quite a bit bigger. But that’s 4 hours lol

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
We have a big show here in Pomona twice a year. I love it. There are some great tarantulas for sale. I found 13 good ones last August and restricted myself to only three last month in January. I really enjoy the shows. Lots to see and other like-minded people to hang out with and talk to. Some local shows are pretty small and unimpressive. If that is the case with yours, I think you'll be pretty happy with the Tinley Park show. Its one of the biggest in the country. Last I heard, Pomona, Daytona and Tinley Park were all on par and are the three best and biggest shows in the country.

Tarantulas take a long time to grow and reach full size. Some of them take 5 or 6 years. You can expect to pay more for larger tarantulas like this because of the time investment.

IMAGINE1391

3 Year Member
We have a big show here in Pomona twice a year. I love it. There are some great tarantulas for sale. I found 13 good ones last August and restricted myself to only three last month in January. I really enjoy the shows. Lots to see and other like-minded people to hang out with and talk to. Some local shows are pretty small and unimpressive. If that is the case with yours, I think you'll be pretty happy with the Tinley Park show. Its one of the biggest in the country. Last I heard, Pomona, Daytona and Tinley Park were all on par and are the three best and biggest shows in the country.

Tarantulas take a long time to grow and reach full size. Some of them take 5 or 6 years. You can expect to pay more for larger tarantulas like this because of the time investment.
Awesome. So I might try out the Cincinnati one first and if it is a bit underwhelming, I’ll probably go to Chicago. I would definitely like to pick up 2-3 specimens to make that trip worth it.

And I completely understand why sub adults to adults are more expensive and especially females. I’ve just heard that they can definitely be a bit cheaper at these shows and you don’t have to pay shipping so that’s cool.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Awesome. So I might try out the Cincinnati one first and if it is a bit underwhelming, I’ll probably go to Chicago. I would definitely like to pick up 2-3 specimens to make that trip worth it.

And I completely understand why sub adults to adults are more expensive and especially females. I’ve just heard that they can definitely be a bit cheaper at these shows and you don’t have to pay shipping so that’s cool.
There are a couple of expos in Indiana like the IRBC and midwest reptile expo, never been to either one, but I've heard good things about both.

Ole8eye

I recently picked up 3 new Ts at a local expo. No sexed Ts which was sketchy but ah well. I paid 45 for a E.murinus. B.Albopilosum. and a A.Seemanni. they could have just sold me some sub adult males (which would suck so bad) but it was cheap so If they are males I'll at least give them a good life : ) and hopefully find them some honeys ;)

IMAGINE1391

3 Year Member
I recently picked up 3 new Ts at a local expo. No sexed Ts which was sketchy but ah well. I paid 45 for a E.murinus. B.Albopilosum. and a A.Seemanni. they could have just sold me some sub adult males (which would suck so bad) but it was cheap so If they are males I'll at least give them a good life : ) and hopefully find them some honeys ;)
I would really love to find a Brachypelma Vagans sub adult female somewhere. Hopefully I get lucky this Sunday. I’m trying the Cincinnati Reptile Expo

Ole8eye

I would really love to find a Brachypelma Vagans sub adult female somewhere. Hopefully I get lucky this Sunday. I’m trying the Cincinnati Reptile Expo
Dang I was wanting to goto that expo so badly..but the cash flow is low lol. And I have three B. Vagans and they are fire crackers already. I can't wait to watch them grow. I got mine from palp friction if your interested in some B. Vagans slings : )

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Cincinnati has a great show, you should find something you like for sure there, I have good luck at our show we have in columbus and cincinnati is even better then the show we have here. I always wait till after the show before I order anything online, alot of times I find all kinds of new and exciting stuff to add to my collection plus better deals on supplies and feeders as well.

IMAGINE1391

3 Year Member
Cincinnati has a great show, you should find something you like for sure there, I have good luck at our show we have in columbus and cincinnati is even better then the show we have here. I always wait till after the show before I order anything online, alot of times I find all kinds of new and exciting stuff to add to my collection plus better deals on supplies and feeders as well.
Sounds awesome!! Now I’m really getting excited. The bender that looks the most promising for Tarantulas is called Mostly Reptiles. Is there other venders that will be selling them as well?

Ole8eye

Yeah their pretty good. I recently got a couple of Ts from them and they were really nice. Healthy Ts also. I almost got me a Stirmi but didn't....I kinda regret it :(

IMAGINE1391

3 Year Member
Yeah their pretty good. I recently got a couple of Ts from them and they were really nice. Healthy Ts also. I almost got me a Stirmi but didn't....I kinda regret it :(
I would definitely take a Stirmi worst case scenario. Before that I would take a Brachypelma Vagans, Nhandu Tripepii, Acanthoscurria Geniculata, and a Grammostola Pulchra. I’d even be interested in a Pterinochilus murinus.

Ole8eye

No doubt man. When I was there a Stirmi was 90. They had three juvies. I didn't get to look at the slings as good as I wanted too. I know they had A. Geniculata slings that were super super tiny, but hey slings are awesome. If I had more cash on me I would have went home with a couple of more Ts :D I say your gonna have a blast.

IMAGINE1391

3 Year Member
Also the G. Pulchra is a dream T of mine. Very beautiful.
I checked out Palp Friction and I seen they had a Panama Red Rump female juvenile. If I don’t find anything I want on Sunday, I’ll be going back to place my order if she’s still available. Gorgeous species

IMAGINE1391

3 Year Member
Oh and turns out I'll be at the Cincinnati expo. I'm super excited! Hopefully I can get that Stirmi I regretted not buying last time lol see y'all there. :D
Not if I beat you to it! Lol I’m just joking of course but good luck and let me know of your finds afterwards!

Ole8eye

If you buy that Stirmi and take it home, enjoy it, love it, cherish it for all eternity, just think my eye balls were already on it :D just playing. I hope we both get lucky.

The tarantula beef cracks me up :D:)