• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Little help Please with My T's

jTivan

3 Year Member
I have a Brachypelma Hentzi which is in my profile picture. She hasn't eaten anything within 3 weeks. and it sits and stays in that spot for hours, sometimes even days. Could she be getting ready to Molt. I though they lay on their backs to Molt??. Also my 2 3.5 cm Vagans made a burrow and they never come out of it. I try to feed them 1-2 times a week but they don't even bother. I did notice that when i first got them, part of their abdomen were light brown color(skin color) and now they have dark a bluish color abdomen. Sorry for asking to much. Hope i can get some help or advice. Thank you.

laura916

3 Year Member
I have a Brachypelma Hentzi which is in my profile picture. She hasn't eaten anything within 3 weeks. and it sits and stays in that spot for hours, sometimes even days. Could she be getting ready to Molt. I though they lay on their backs to Molt??. Also my 2 3.5 cm Vagans made a burrow and they never come out of it. I try to feed them 1-2 times a week but they don't even bother. I did notice that when i first got them, part of their abdomen were light brown color(skin color) and now they have dark a bluish color abdomen. Sorry for asking to much. Hope i can get some help or advice. Thank you.
T's will stop eating Pre-molt. I wouldnt worry about it. As long as her abdomen doesnt look shriveled and shes kept with a shallow water dish im sure she'll be fine.

laura916

3 Year Member
My B. Amilia sealed herself up under her log for about a week one time, sealed it completely, front and back and wouldnt come out to eat or drink the whole time. I thought she died in there, til i finally smashed down some of the dirt in the back so i could peek in.. i barely had started to smash the dirt down when all of a sudden 2 little legs poked through as if to tell me "hey! leave me alone" and thats exactly what i did, lol.. the next day she started coming out again.

jTivan

3 Year Member
Hahahaha, That's good to know. Fiiuuu! Big relief. Thank you much. I appreciate it. I added an image of one of my B. Vagans.
DSC_0064[1].jpg

laura916

3 Year Member
Aww its beautiful.
My B. Amilia just molted yesterday, so exciting, lol. T's pretty much do what they want. Ive heard they dont eat for a while before molting and mine just ate Tuesday, then molted thursday morning. Only reason i even knew was because we put 2 crickets in tuesday and saw one still alive thursday, checked under her log and there she was next to her molt and she was bigger and brighter. Of course we got the live cricket outta there right then. But ya, they pretty much do what they want, when they want. just keep a clean shallow water dish in there, offer food occassionally and take it out if it doesnt eat within 24-48hrs.

laura916

3 Year Member
heres some pics of mine before it molted. And what it did to its hideout, lol.. havent got to snap any since its molt yesterday though but im waiting patiently. I peeked in there and its legs look soooo long, lol

Attachments

• 9969_538012409583509_432835059_n.jpg
    9969_538012409583509_432835059_n.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 46250_538012622916821_1432475927_n.jpg
    46250_538012622916821_1432475927_n.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 417901_537881186263298_198489497_n.jpg
    417901_537881186263298_198489497_n.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 11

laura916

3 Year Member
Sealed it completely :) . That's just awesome what these little things can do right. Do you know how fast Brachypelma species grow?
Im not really sure, ive heard they are a slow growing species, like mine, but ive also heard some different Brach species grow faster like the B. Vagan. Heres a site i found a while back. Not sure how accurate it is but it tells alot about all the different Brachs. http://giantspiders.com/Brachypelma_species.html

laura916

3 Year Member
B. vagans - (Ausserer, 1875) Mexico, Central America
A wide ranging species throughout Central America - Guatemala, Yucatan, Belize and Honduras,
B. vagans juveniles can grow quite fast but can still take several years to reach maturity (up to a 13 cm legspan). Adults can go for long periods without eating and specimens have been known to moult only every two years. Quite common in captivity as breeding is easy with the courtship being a very deliberate affair with no risk to the male if the female is receptive. Multiple matings are common. Recommended beginners species, not overly aggressive but nervous and for this reason, shouldn't be handled.

laura916

3 Year Member
This is a specific care sheet for Mexican Red Rumps (Brachypelma vagans), for more in this genus see Category:Brachypelma.
20px-InformationIcon.png
Mexican Red Rump care sheet
Brachypelma vagans

Mexican Red Rump Tarantula
Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Arthropoda
Subphylum: Arachnomorpha
Class: Arachnida
Subclass: Micrura
Order: Araneae
Suborder: Opisthothelae
Family: Theraphosidae
Subfamily: Theraphosinae
Genus: Brachypelma
Species: B. vagans
Known as the Mexican Red Rump Tarantula this is a species with no red on its legs but a nice red abdomen. It is one of the faster growers of thegenus and will live for up to 15 years reaching maturity after 1 or 2. This species can produce amazing burrows.

laura916

3 Year Member
And yes when they molt they do it on their backs. If you suddenly see it on its back dont worry and dont disturb it. Its a very stressful time for a T and shouldnt be disturbed.

jTivan

3 Year Member
Really excited, Came home yesterday and Found that one of My Baby Brachypelma Vagans was just finishing her molt. she was 3.5 cm, now she looks like around 4.5 cm almost 5. She got new colors, Her rump now has Flaming Red hair. Here is an image. :)

Attachments

• DSC_0071[1].jpg
    DSC_0071[1].jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0069[1].jpg
    DSC_0069[1].jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13

Latest posts