• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

latrodectism.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I am normally the last person to find out anything. So this probably old news to most here. But.. I recently discovered that the bite of a widow spider. Of the family Latrodectus has a word all of it's own for the effects of envenomation. latrodectism.

Taken from Here.
Latrodectism from black widow spider (BWS) bites is rare in the United States. Latrodectism is a severe systemic manifestation of the envenomation that includes severe abdominal pain mimicking acute surgical abdomen and, in rare cases, could lead to acute myocarditis and rhabdomyolysis. The BWS typically inhabits dark, low-lying areas such as woodpiles, tree stumps, outdoor storage, outdoor furniture, outdoor toilets, and rock piles and is most active during warm weather months. Military service members often participate in field training exercises during warm weather in wooded areas littered with woodpiles and tree stumps; therefore, they are at an increased risk for bites by arachnids. We report the case of a 26-year-old active duty male soldier evacuated from field training with latrodectism and possible envenomation-induced myocarditis after a suspected BWS bite.

Jeef

3 Year Member
Here is a handy graphic
1705276911190.png

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Here is a handy graphic

First latrodectism. Now Pripism.. I recently got around to buying the collected poems of Tony Harrison & he starts his poem V, with a quote from Arthur Scargill.

My father still reads the dictionary every day. He says your life depends on your power to master words.

Jeef

3 Year Member
I'm not putting up a handy graphic for priapism.

I seem to remember there is/was research into the venom of the Brazilian wandering spider (Phoneutria nigriventer) because one of the effects was priapism.