• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lasiodora parahybana questions

Dave S

3 Year Member
Hey all.,
I'm looking to expand my collection. I was thinking about getting a Lasiodora parahybana. I've looked online at the different sites and care sheets.
So far I'm gathering mild venom, big fangs slightly skiddish not aggressive the hairs can be painful.
Good life span and eating habits.

What else can anyone tell me about them? Your experience is all I really have to rely on to knew what I'm in for.
thanks

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
They grow like weeds! I've heard you can get one as a tiny sling and have it reach 6" in a year. I picked up a sling in February and it's molted 6 times already. I have no experience with larger specimens as this is my first. Oh and they are eating machines.:)

StoptheInsanity

3 Year Member
I have two Salmon Birdeaters, one medium size and one Juvie...They are really nice...My juvie is in view all the time...My medium size is in view most of the time...They are sweet and not easily spooked...At least mine are that way...A good choice...I love all the large Ts...Haven't been attacked by any, as yet...I always give warning of three taps before I open their lids...None has ever kicked off their hairs at me...Even my Goliaths...I have the T Blondi, and a Pink foot Goliath...I've been looking for a Stirmi if anyone has one...Anyway, good luck

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have three currently, including a sling, a juvenile, and a young adult. As slings, two of mine dug burrows and stayed pretty much hidden until they reached about 1.5" or so. They would also seal themselves up during a premolt and bolt beneath the ground at the slightest bump of the enclosure. At about 1.5 inches, they became bolder and stayed out more. I have a 4.5" female who sits out in the open all the time and never uses a hide. She's very calm and has yet to kick a hair.

As stated above, these guys can eat. The only time mine refuse a meal is if they are in premolt. Unlike my other Ts, who will wait in ambush or stalk their prey, my LPs tend to charge the minute they sense it. It's quite amusing to watch.

Mine molt often, and the jump in size between molts is decent. They aren't my fastest growing species, but they certainly have a good growth rate.

If you get one, I don't think that you'll be disappointed.

Matthaus

3 Year Member
Hi guys! Received my LP for my birthday. My first T and she is beautiful. She kicks hair easily but once she's in my hand she settles quickly. She is apparently a year old but I'm not sure. She does not enjoy light areas and loves being on top of her burrow.

I'm surprised at how many people are more amazed by her than freaked out.

Any tips for a noob would be greatly appreciated!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi guys! Received my LP for my birthday. My first T and she is beautiful. She kicks hair easily but once she's in my hand she settles quickly. She is apparently a year old but I'm not sure. She does not enjoy light areas and loves being on top of her burrow.

I'm surprised at how many people are more amazed by her than freaked out.

Any tips for a noob would be greatly appreciated!

LPs are great Ts but just beware of those hairs as they can apparently be quite painful. How big is she? Mine grew from 1" to over 6" in 16 months and 6 moults each.

Be careful when you do handle her, make sure she can't fall far otherwise she could hurt herself or even die.

Matthaus

3 Year Member
LPs are great Ts but just beware of those hairs as they can apparently be quite painful. How big is she? Mine grew from 1" to over 6" in 16 months and 6 moults each.

Be careful when you do handle her, make sure she can't fall far otherwise she could hurt herself or even die.

Hi, yes the hairs aren't painful, they just give me a horrible itch. It could however be painful if you are allergic to them (well so I've read at least).

I haven't gotten a measurement of her unfortunately she gets quite annoyed by alien objects unfortunately.
By judging however, I'll put up a picture of her on my hand. I'm using non-powdered gloves in the picture.
IMG-20151022-WA0009.jpg

There is no height longer than her legs. She prefers the bark over the peat.

Another thing, she's starting to go patchy on her abdomen. And hasn't eaten in over 24hours, could I assume pre-moult??

Appreciated the quick response as well!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi, yes the hairs aren't painful, they just give me a horrible itch. It could however be painful if you are allergic to them (well so I've read at least).

I haven't gotten a measurement of her unfortunately she gets quite annoyed by alien objects unfortunately.
By judging however, I'll put up a picture of her on my hand. I'm using non-powdered gloves in the picture.View attachment 11657

There is no height longer than her legs. She prefers the bark over the peat.

Another thing, she's starting to go patchy on her abdomen. And hasn't eaten in over 24hours, could I assume pre-moult??

Appreciated the quick response as well!
I wouldn't assume pre molt just yet, 24 hrs is not a long time for a tarantula to go without eating, and she looks well fed and healthy. My big girl will eat right up to two or three days before a molt.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Mine have a slab of slate to sit on as well as cork bark and both love it.

I agree with MassExodus that it may not mean a moult, the bald spot could just be from kicking hairs.

Matthaus

3 Year Member
I wouldn't assume pre molt just yet, 24 hrs is not a long time for a tarantula to go without eating, and she looks well fed and healthy. My big girl will eat right up to two or three days before a molt.

She is indeed! And should I keep the cricket in her tank, because I've read posts that says if you leave it in for over 24hours it can stress them out? She seems perfectly calm however.

As well she doesn't spin a lot of silk, is that normal?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
She is indeed! And should I keep the cricket in her tank, because I've read posts that says if you leave it in for over 24hours it can stress them out? She seems perfectly calm however.

As well she doesn't spin a lot of silk, is that normal?

LPs don't web much, the only time mine do is to make a moult mat.

Matthaus

3 Year Member
I'm really enjoying the pictures as well.

My next I want to get is a Greenbottle Blue, they are beautiful Ts.

On a side note, I was terrified of spiders. But the day I went to the shop and the assistant just put her on to my hand, I immediately fell in love, my girlfriends phobia was a lot worse but she has grown fond of Morticia and has even handled

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

On a side note, I was terrified of spiders. But the day I went to the shop and the assistant just put her on to my hand, I immediately fell in love, my girlfriends phobia was a lot worse but she has grown fond of Morticia and has even handled

Some of the pics on here are just soooo tempting :D

I still don't have a GBB, I was about to get one then I spotted the O. diamantinensis so I bought that instead.

There are quite a few on here that have had a fear of spiders, I still do when they are loose in the house but I love my Ts.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

As Enn said, these usually don't web much, mine only does it when she molts as well, or makes the circular mat when eating. As far as the cricket, Lps have a very good feeding response. If she doesn't take it the first time she sees it, she's probably not hungry :) I despise crickets, and won't let one stay in an enclosure if I even suspect pre molt. They'll kill or maim a tarantula that's molting.

Matthaus

3 Year Member
As Enn said, these usually don't web much, mine only does it when she molts as well, or makes the circular mat when eating. As far as the cricket, Lps have a very good feeding response. If she doesn't take it the first time she sees it, she's probably not hungry :) I despise crickets, and won't let one stay in an enclosure if I even suspect pre molt. They'll kill or maim a tarantula that's molting.

And I've heard it's the most stressful time for them! I'll keep an eye on it for another hour or so, and I'll remove it of need be.

Matthaus

3 Year Member
My girlfriend is

I still don't have a GBB, I was about to get one then I spotted the O. diamantinensis so I bought that instead.

There are quite a few on here that have had a fear of spiders, I still do when they are loose in the house but I love m

There are quite a few on here that have had a fear of spiders, I still do when they are loose in the house but I love my Ts.

Haha right they are!!

My girlfriend would feel the same about loose spiders hahaha.

What is the difference between an OB and GBB if I may ask?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What is the difference between an OB and GBB if I may ask?

They are very similar but the O. diamantinensis has a bright red band across the pedicel and only reaches around 3" whereas the GBB will grow to 4.5 - 6". The O. diamantinensis is arboreal and a prolific webber.