• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

just some general advise for your resident noob.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wouldn't suggest anyone get a pokie or an OBT as a first tarantula. I'm of the opinion that no amount of research can prepare you for having to rehouse one of these. I'm a big fan of the ladder system. Psalmopoeus will prepare you for speed and attitude, minus the medically significant venom. This is why species like this and Ephebopus make great intermediate tarantulas. There's no reason to go diving into the deep end. Something to always consider is if you have other people and/or pets in your home, should an escape ever occur. The venom of some Old World species can be lethal to cats and dogs.

P.ornata is one of the worst pokie species you could possibly start out with. They're among the more high-strung pokies. I'd recommend P.regalis over P.ornata for someone new to this genus.
Ok, so, that makes good sense to me so, recommend one of the ones you've mentioned,
Psalmopoeus irminia maybe or Ephebopus cyanognathus?
the P.irminia is lovely reading about them today if time permits

micheldied

3 Year Member
Ok, so, that makes good sense to me so, recommend one of the ones you've mentioned,
Psalmopoeus irminia maybe or Ephebopus cyanognathus?
the P.irminia is lovely reading about them today if time permits

Why not go with the Avics if you wanted them?

P. irminia are fun, and a sort of stepping stone towards Pokies(although no Psalmopoeus I've owned has displayed any speed close to that of a Pokie) and pretty good looking, although that's subjective. E. cyanognathus are pretty pet-hole-ish from what I've heard, although I've never had them myself. Very pretty though.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Why not go with the Avics if you wanted them?

P. irminia are fun, and a sort of stepping stone towards Pokies(although no Psalmopoeus I've owned has displayed any speed close to that of a Pokie) and pretty good looking, although that's subjective. E. cyanognathus are pretty pet-hole-ish from what I've heard, although I've never had them myself. Very pretty though.
Leaning more towards the P.irminia.
The A.versi is a definite. I have a B.boehmei coming before that though, if things work out. My finances allow me one at a time unless they are really low priced. I adore the avics if my little 3" A.avic is anything to go on. Absolute brat and I adore it. Eats like a pig, faceplants in her waterbowl and is out the moment I open the enclosure. If I didn't know better I'd swear she does it just to taunt me. And her little web dance never ceases to put a smile on my face.

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Leaning more towards the P.irminia.
The A.versi is a definite. I have a B.boehmei coming before that though, if things work out. My finances allow me one at a time unless they are really low priced. I adore the avics if my little 3" A.avic is anything to go on. Absolute brat and I adore it. Eats like a pig, faceplants in her waterbowl and is out the moment I open the enclosure. If I didn't know better I'd swear she does it just to taunt me. And her little web dance never ceases to put a smile on my face.
Avics take the prize in cuteness. I like when they get spooked and huddle up into a fuzzy ball. They're actually found in peoples houses sometimes in South America..can you imagine finding Avics in your house, instead of our usual jumping spiders/house spiders? It would be like Christmas..well, to some anyway..I'm sure most people would be horrified. lmao.

timc

3 Year Member
To the person/people interested in the rufilata, mine is awesome. When I see it. Once a month. At 3 AM. o_O Lol kidding aside it is a beautiful spider that I absolutely adore and love keeping. The speed has been mentioned by others, but the thing I think gets overlooked is how impressive a jumper the little fella is. When he was about an inch and a half he jumped about three feet down and two feet away from my table and just kept running. I'm Not often surprised by tarantulas but I must say that day my jaw dropped for an instant (couldn't be shocked for long, I had to catch him) just thought I'd share something else to expect from this wonderful species for anyone interested in them. Be prepared for a dare devil!

N8tive556

3 Year Member
I respect the step up ladder system I do, but I didn't really get that luxury... Lol I had decided, I wanted a G. Rosea! But finding one was insanely hard where I live. Finally the opportunity arose! N8s getting a T! What's that? Oh they don't have a Rosea huh? well just grab me what you can... What's this? Is that a Skeleton leg? No? Aphonopelma seemanni... 3 inch specimen... Huh... Awesome!

And that's how I got into the hobby!
3 weeks later I would be at a reptile show and meet some people selling strictly inverts... What's that? You have a sling of my dream T the P. Regalis? And so yeah... For me it's been kind of ladders be damned... I'm trying to balance it all out! I got my rosea at that same show!

Latest posts