• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just researching at present...but hello x

hopeful_tarantula

3 Year Member
Hi there.

I am currently in the throws of researching types and care of different tarantulas and came across this forum. At the moment, my parents won't allow a tarantula to pass through the front door...but so far they've allowed a hamster, corn snake, some fish and a couple of gerbils lol....so hoping providing I can find the perfect tarantula (i.e. one that doesn't bite, flick hairs or generally annoys my parents lol), and done a heck of a lot of research, I will be able to slowly persuade them to allow me to get one.

Thankfully my parents don't have a worry about me having live crickets (seeing as I could have got a leopard gecko, but chose Inca (my corn snake) instead) in the house, so don't think that will cause a problem. Parent's just have a worry if it escapes, bites or flicks hairs.

Hoping to learn a lot from this forum and eventually persuade my parents to allow one through the door lol.

I may be 27, but it's definitely Parent's Rules here lol.

Julia x

Tongue Flicker

3 Year Member
Lol

First up, welcome aboard julia! :D

Don't worry, they already allowed a snake in so having a T in would be moments away. All tarantulas can bite but that depends on the situation that a T is in. A normal docile tarantula group would be either Brachypelmas or Grammostolas. They also don't move quickly so startling a new owner is less likely :)

Charmyknux

3 Year Member
Welcome aboard and good luck! Try getting your parents to look at some of your research :) it might help!

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Well, I'm the opposite...my parents are fine with tarantulas but under no circumstances would a snake be allowed in the house!!! :)

Here are some pros of keeping tarantulas as pets which you might share with your parents: They are dead quiet, they have no smell, they require very little in the way of space and care, and for the most part they are very restive. You might as well have a pet rock in your room.

The New World (docile) species do sometimes flick hairs in self-defense; however, all but one of mine do not flick 99.9% of the time. The other one is a Brazilian Giant Whiteknee, but they are known for their flicky attitude! Some good docile Ts to look at would be the Brachypelma (except B. boehmei---they flick more) and Grammostola spp. Among every class of T you will occasionally come across an individual that is exceptionally defensive, but most live up to their benign nature.

Avoid Old World tarantulas. These have no irritating and therefore cannot flick, but they make up for it with their potent venom. A bite from an Old World spider would require prompt medical attention. While all New World tarantulas have the potential to bite, if handled respectfully they will very rarely attempt to bite...even if they do, it's usually a dry bite (no venom injected). Even if venom is used its consequences are mild and generally do not last beyond a few hours to a few days.

I have to say that the Brachypelma smithi (Mexican Redknee) takes first prize in my book for docility and gentle nature...as of today, that's my smithi in my profile pic. She's a lovely girl. :)

Good luck and welcome to the club!

lazorkat

3 Year Member
you may wana consider an Aviculari if you are into the tree dewlling spiders they are not prone to bite and can be handled easily the only draw back is they can be skittish and fast moving but are not an agressive species

hopeful_tarantula

3 Year Member
Thank you all for the great welcome and information on suitable tarantulas for me.

Sabeth - Your Mexican Red Knee is gorgeous! I must admit, I do love these, but I know these can flick hairs and if I'm going to get a T, I do need one that's not going to do that.

I have been looking on a couple of websites and came across these for beginner ones -

http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/insect/product_info.php?products_id=2242

http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/insect/product_info.php?products_id=1881

What are your opinions on these?

I am still getting used to the latin names for Tarantulas, but am slowly working my way through this lol.

Julia x

hopeful_tarantula

3 Year Member
OK.......now drooling lol!

Thanks Martin and Christell for the information and as I said, I am now drooling at the Brachys on that website Martin lol.

Still working on how to ask parents for a T....but this could be a long time coming lol

Loving this forum though and learning loads at the same time....should really be doing my First Aid assignment, but spidey research is so much more fun lol

Julia x

jon ross

3 Year Member
Just think tho. If they noticed like 2 or 3 months down the line you could tell then its been there that long and that shows theres nothing to worry about lol

Latest posts