• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is something wrong with my tarantula?

Maltesj

Can someone please tell me if my tarantula is ok? Shes been in this position for at least two hours. She seems weak and has not really moved a bunch. Yesterday she was flat up against the wood chips. Now shes half way up on the piece of wood. She has not ate for a couple weeks.

Attachments

• 15432030885565871586338808615923.jpg
    15432030885565871586338808615923.jpg
    586.8 KB · Views: 56

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Constructive criticism, wood chips aren't good for Ts. You'll want to use coco fibre or some other substrate. Make sure she has a waterdish aswell without anything in it just water. She's probably fine but just make sure she stays hydrated.(has water available).

A tarantula not eating isn't an issue. I wouldn't worry about it at all. (My e campestratus is currently at about 4 months without eating). It's something you'll get used to.

Maltesj

Constructive criticism, wood chips aren't good for Ts. You'll want to use coco fibre or some other substrate. Make sure she has a waterdish aswell without anything in it just water. She's probably fine but just make sure she stays hydrated.(has water available).

A tarantula not eating isn't an issue. I wouldn't worry about it at all. (My e campestratus is currently at about 4 months without eating). It's something you'll get used to.

Taking note about the wood chips. When I first noticed the position she was in her front legs were raised near her abdomen and looked very odd. I nudge her just a little and she placed them back to what you see in the picture. Thank you for the reply.

Maltesj

Awesome! Did not know that. We were given her about two months ago. I thought there was something wrong with her, but it turned out she was in the process of molting. Is it normal for t's to molt on there belly's?

Attachments

• 15432810904855881586116513813495.jpg
    15432810904855881586116513813495.jpg
    609 KB · Views: 40

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Awesome! Did not know that. We were given her about two months ago. I thought there was something wrong with her, but it turned out she was in the process of molting. Is it normal for t's to molt on there belly's?

Ts normally flip over onto their back to moult but it isn't unusual for them to moult upright, I've just had a little one do it.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's best not to use wood as substrate. As decor, it's fine, but the actual stuff they walk on shouldn't have it.

My favorite substrate is 100% chemical free organic peat. It looks good, even smells good and is mold resistant. EcoEarth will also work. For one cage, a small to medium sized bag is pretty affordable.

timc

3 Year Member
I agree with everyone else that the wood chips are not a good substrate, but please wait a while now before changing it out. Molting is one of the most stressful things a tarantula naturally does and a rehouse will only add to that. Just make sure water is available and (s)he’ll make it until she hardens up. A very pretty spider you have there, as well. Is this your first molt? If so congrats.

Maltesj

I agree with everyone else that the wood chips are not a good substrate, but please wait a while now before changing it out. Molting is one of the most stressful things a tarantula naturally does and a rehouse will only add to that. Just make sure water is available and (s)he’ll make it until she hardens up. A very pretty spider you have there, as well. Is this your first molt? If so congrats.
It's best not to use wood as substrate. As decor, it's fine, but the actual stuff they walk on shouldn't have it.

My favorite substrate is 100% chemical free organic peat. It looks good, even smells good and is mold resistant. EcoEarth will also work. For one cage, a small to medium sized bag is pretty affordable.

Thank you for the info. I will look into getting her a different substrate. We are first time owners of Ts so it's a lear ing process. I appreciate the info.

Maltesj

Thank you. Yes this is our first molt and it was amazing. The tarantula is actually my 7yr old daughter's and she was getting sad because she wasn't moving. So that is why I created this thread to get some feedback. I appreciate everyone's input and knowledge they have provided.