• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my T dead or just molting?

marmar2897

My bf saw him on his back in this state and thought he was dead. I rushed over and nudged him with my tongs. He bit the tongs and then flipped onto his belly. I realized that I had interrupted his molting and flipped him back over but he's been in this position, twitching ever since and it's been over 12 hours. He is a Rio Grande gold mature male.
20231128_131451.jpg

GarField000

3 Year Member
A mature male will not molt anymore.
How long is it mature?

normal I would say yes you disturbed the T which also would pose a big risk for the rest off the process, but a mature male will not molt. In rare occasions it tries to molt again but 95% will not survive.

marmar2897

A mature male will not molt anymore.
How long is it mature?

normal I would say yes you disturbed the T which also would pose a big risk for the rest off the process, but a mature male will not molt. In rare occasions it tries to molt again but 95% will not survive.
He has been mature for less than a year, but other, more experienced, hobbyists have said that he is much older than I originally thought and that he may not last long.

I think he passed because I put him in an ICU last night but by 1pm the following day, he has not improved. RIP Tuca.

I now have to plan a tiny funeral. Thank you for your response.

GarField000

3 Year Member
Adult males can live from 3 months to over a year. Depening on the grow rates.
My I.mira was just a few months. My P.mascara is already 14 months.

RIP Tuca