• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my Brachypelma albopilosum mature?

MrBrits

3 Year Member
I have had tarantulas for about 2 year now, a Chilean Rose (Watson) and a Curly hair (Lincoln) so I'm fairly new and inexperienced in my opinion.
Lincoln moulted about 2 weeks ago. He is still very small compared to Watson who is a year older them him. Lincoln is almost 1 year old now.

I found him today laying sperm web, which was quite exciting to see, but I read that if a male is mature that he will generally stop moulting. Is this true? He seems very small for being mature.

From his spinnerets to his chelicerae he is about 5cm (almost 2 inches) long. That is still very small compared to what I have seen at the pet shops.

So my question is. Is this normal? Is he done moulting?

Attachments

• 20140306_160032.jpg
    20140306_160032.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 118

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Yes, it's a mature male. Unfortunately these don't usually moult again after their maturing moult and if they do an a very rare occasion, they don't usually survive. If well looked after, he will survive for a year or more before dying, or else you could find him a sexy lady spider so that he can continue the species. :)

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hope these photos show the tibial hooks and bulbous pedipalps good enough.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1394128012917.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394128012917.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 150
  • uploadfromtaptalk1394128033298.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394128033298.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 148
  • uploadfromtaptalk1394128073144.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394128073144.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

MrBrits

3 Year Member
Thank you very much for the reply. When I saw my curly hair with bulbous pedipalps I got a fright because I didn't know that tarantulas got those things, I thought something went wrong with his previous moult. Its sad to hear that he wont be getting any bigger, he is still so small. The only female tarantula I have is a Chilean Rose and I know that you shouldn't create hybrids. Also, I don't know if I'm for it to have hundreds of spiders running around just yet.

MrBrits

3 Year Member
That is actually a great idea. Will maybe be doing that. Just want to say, HOLY CRAP look at that collection of yours, its like and entire zoo. Must be very exciting. One question though, what is your housing situation for your tarantulas like? Do you have an entire room for them?

MrBrits

3 Year Member
I totally agree with you there. When I got my first T it was this little white almost see through spider. Now it is this huge beautiful tarantula, my Chilean Rose. Also, its so interesting to see them keep themselves busy. My tarantulas are just above my desk, so when I'm working I can see them move around and make their homes different etc. Very exciting.
Just got a Chaco Golden Knee and a Green Bottle Blue. Going to the pet shop later today or tomorrow to buy things for the terrarium for the Green Bottle Blue.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use simple things for my juvenile and mature ones, a hide any type of moss as substrate a water dish with small pebbles so they can't drown a light misting once every few days on the opposite side of where the t is. Remember substrate to be dry, its used to that. I have looked after a few slings, small tub or a pill bottle light misting and not on the T. A half filled tub with substrate, so if it decides it can burrow.

Latest posts