• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Introduction since I was told to do this?

Bread_Box_

Hello, I'm Gray, and I came here to research how to take care of a tarantula. My brother got one for his birthday when he was younger, but it has been left completely ignored for years. I couldn't help but feel sad for it, so here I am. If I am doing anything wrong, please tell me. I haven’t been on this site for long.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome. :)
It would help us to help you if you could tell us what species the tarantula is and post pictures if it and its container.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Stopping here is a great first step. Lots of friendly people here with tarantula experience.

I second Enn49’s comments. We need more info to help and good pictures are a good way.

Bread_Box_

I'm pretty sure it's a female Chilean Rose Tarantula, and my brother got it 2009. It's worth mentioning that he only watered and fed it when he remembered to, and we don’t feed it as much as we're supposed to. Also, I don't want to take any real action with the Tarantula until I have more information on how to take care of them.
The real spider is by the corner of the enclosure (I've included 2 closeups of it), the one in the middle is it's old molt that I guess we just never took out. Are we supposed to take it out?

Attachments

• IMG_4794.jpg
    IMG_4794.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20221217_113629.jpg
    20221217_113629.jpg
    823.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221217_113620.jpg
    20221217_113620.jpg
    600.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221217_113610.jpg
    20221217_113610.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks for reaching out. I think it says a lot about you that you are interested in that tarantula’s care.

There is some work ahead of you though, as I see it.

That tarantula seems to have lived a long time in less than ideal conditions. And maybe it could live the rest of its life like that. But over the years better husbandry practices have become mainstream.

Terrestrial tarantulas need substrate. Some like to dig, hide, bulldoze. One concern is that a tarantula could climb high and fall, so it is recommended that the height of the enclosure be about 1.5 times the spider’s leg length from the substrate.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Grammostola rosea "Chilean rose tarantula" are really simple to care for. My old girl eats once a month and has water available all the time. They typically don't burrow, mine just sit out in the open. More substrate would be great to avoid a injury but a necessity at the moment. I feed mine like I said once a month a good size meal depending on the size of your feeders. Examples of a feeding would be one of the following
4-5 crickets
3-4 red runner roaches
1 large dubia roach
1 hissing ****roach.
Water is the most important thing for this species due to them fasting long periods of time.
Good luck

20221030_135131.jpg
20221030_135059.jpg
20220714_155607.jpg
20220709_213739.jpg

Last edited:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Or your spider could also be a Grammostola porteri "Chilean rose hair" tarantula that are close cousins to the rosea and sometimes miss labeled. Care requirements are the same.
20221030_134904.jpg
20220709_213850.jpg
20220330_173151.jpg
20220321_171048.jpg
20220305_175117.jpg
20220103_174429.jpg

tarantulas118

Oh wow that tarantula looks stressed beyond believe, hopefully you can give it a better life for the rest of its life. Ok, it looks like @Arachnoclown gave you some good husbandry tips but just to be extra safe here are some more sources on care
There is also this guy his name is “Tom Moran” and he’s An excellent teacher for tarantula owners he has a youtube, a podcast and a website all go by the name “toms big spiders”

CallieW311

Hello, I'm Gray, and I came here to research how to take care of a tarantula. My brother got one for his birthday when he was younger, but it has been left completely ignored for years. I couldn't help but feel sad for it, so here I am. If I am doing anything wrong, please tell me. I haven’t been on this site for long.
I'm new too, and probably overly attached to my T's too. I haven't done the introduction yet, but I will soon. I have 10 Ts. 1, is an adult or sub adult, C elegans, 1 juvie, T albo, and 8 slings. Out of the 10 3 are dwarfs and 1 is going to be small, but just out of dwarf range. None should be bigger than 6 inches, of the ones I own. I would have felt sad for your brother's T, too, but it was prob happy to be left alone, lol.
.-Callie

Jeef

3 Year Member
Greetings and welcome aboard!

If you don't have a set of long tongs, it might be worth a thought. By no means mandatory, but I find them useful for retrieving things from the enclosure. Mostly dirty water dishes, but molts, uneaten feeders things like that.

Hope you enjoy taking care of the new beastie!

Latest posts