• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Intro+surf-n-turf of implored help!

CurlyPinkWantsMoe

Hello guys, the name is Renee. I have been a tarantula keeper now for I don’t know maybe 10 years since my son decided to rescue who we called “grandpa”, a beautiful Grammostola Portieri. As I was nervously searched how to care for a tarantula and read a thousand different threads we found a comfort zone that kept everyone happy for about 6+ years! He was actually really cool to watch so long as the lid prevented any attempted escapes. Then one day, on my way home from work I stopped for feeders. I was instantly captured by the fuzziest cutest almost cuddly looking little T Albopilosus!
(Never thought those would be choice description words of a spider let alone a T!) we connected on a deep curly hair level, so home *she came. If I wasn’t panicked about her current situation, I would fill you in right now of our adventures. Let’s save it for another post. I’m here because I don’t know if she is molting or trying to prevent a death curl. And is like some second opinions. Answers to the first set of common questions are as followed. He had only ever molted 1 time in our 3 years, he is on store bought roaches and crickets for diet. Yes he’s watered. No he hasn’t refused food recently. To me it looks like an attempt to stop a death curl by balling up the mound he made . Idk what to do I’m starting to panic someone please help!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome. :)
It's not unusual for an adult T to go 3 years without a moult and T Albopilosus are known for digging and moving earth around.
Do you have any clear photos of him/her showing the front legs and pedipalps so we might be able to sex it for you? A mature male will have hooks on the underside of front legs and the pedipalps will look as though he has boxing gloves on.