• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Interesting article

bbbs53

3 Year Member
When I started, there was almost no information and NO internet! Surprisingly enough, she made it anyway. These beautiful creatures have managed to survive for a very long time and will tolerate a lot of conditions. It seems that there is more complementary information than conflicting. Some have very special needs but it seems that most will do just fine given a chance. The rest is just a preference. Good article.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Tom is spot on. For an example, I came across a particular C. cyaneopubescens that as a sling webbed only at the top of her enclosure. All her sac mates were burrowing in the substrate so I decided to buy her. I have raised her as a semi Arboreal. I've been documenting her entire life (she's about 4.5" right now). On other forums or discussion groups I have been torn to shreds for posting pics of her or of her enclosure. So I don't anymore. I Only share close up pictures of her. It's sad but Tom is absolutely right.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Great article. Tom is eloquent, informative, and truly loves these marvelous creatures. He is an excellent ambassador for the hobby. As @Arachnoclown noted, the hobby has changed dramatically over the decades. Surely, more changes are to come. Our children will one day say “can you believe that so-and-so was once taught as gospel?” Community enclosures are a relatively new idea.
I started with AB as an online source: great information, but there are enough assholes on that forum that I couldn’t take it anymore. Gentle wisdom and guidance are always appreciated (Ennie, Thistles, Casey and others). But, shut-you-down-you’re-an-idiot mentality does nothing for the enthusiast and, as Tom said, could be harmful for your T.

ALD

3 Year Member
You know I have to say- I have been in pet care in some form or another all my life and I have been involved in many pet forums etc.
I have to say coming into the world of Tarantulas I was worried because they are so different to most animals I have cared for in the past.
I was concerned about having a hard time learning and getting information- I have to say though- people in this hobby, more than any other pet
or animal hobby are the nicest. I have never yet been made to feel dumb for asking a question and for the most part everyone seems to respect others
points of view. It's refreshing! I love the article and I am so happy to be a part of this hobby :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tom is a decent guy, and articulate too. I just get mad and act like an ass..fortunately I found a good forum with great mods, who aren't overbearing, and won't tolerate eltist, closed minded garbage for long here. There's several members that will cut that **** off quick, too. I remember the sea salt post. Everyone here tried to be nice and disagree politely but the poster still got upset. She probably just felt overwhelmed by all the disagreeing hobbyists.

Latest posts