• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Howdy

Thanatos

3 Year Member
Hi I just got my first Sling TODAY. I have questions as she is a bit smaller than I thought.

Initially I had a 10gal set up, but have since rehomed her to a 2 cup tupperware container. She is about the size of my thumb nail so about 1/2-3/4 inch(not fully spread).

For the substrate i am useing the coconut dirt(best texture description) I wet it till it felt just dampish or barely wet(about 2Tbs water for 1C sub), lightly compress it and made a small divot with a pencil at the side, plenty of lid holes, no water dish, in a 72-81F area.

I tried feeding, but I think shipping was rough(I am in Pa it was cold today 30ish) so not interested in food.

She was cold on arrival, but perked up(moved to hidey hole) shortly after getting into the big tank.

Please let me know if I need to adjust anything. PS Mexican Redknee

Thanatos

3 Year Member
Hi I just got my first Sling TODAY. I have questions as she is a bit smaller than I thought.
Initially I had a 10gal set up, but have since rehomed her to a 2 cup tupperware container. She is about the size of my thumb nail so about 1/2-3/4 inch(not fully spread).

For the substrate i am useing the coconut dirt(best texture description) I wet it till it felt just dampish or barely wet(about 2Tbs water for 1C sub), lightly compress it and made a small divot with a pencil at the side, plenty of lid holes, no water dish, in a 72-81F area.

I tried feeding, but I think shipping was rough(I am in Pa it was cold today 30ish) so not interested in food.

She was cold on arrival, but perked up(moved to hidey hole) shortly after getting into the big tank.

Please let me know if I need to adjust anything. PS Mexican Redknee

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Congratulations on your new sling :) Sounds ok as long as The substrate is quite dry. Hope We get to see à photo of her, i love red knees.

Thanatos

3 Year Member
The sbustrate is more dry than wet. I have about a 50% humidity going mabey a bit less. She still hasn't eaten yet, but this is only day 2 so I will worry more on Sat.

Charmyknux

3 Year Member
Sounds like you have everything under control :)
I've raised lots of slings and I usually like to let them settle in for a day or two before feeding.
Welcome to the forum and keep us posted on your little one is doing :)

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Your set up sounds perfect. It will be awhile before she's ready for a 10-gallon, though. When you first bring a T home, you should wait about a week before feeding it to give it a chance to settle in. Once she's past that phase she should start eating with no problem.

Thanatos

3 Year Member
She has created a burrow "city", but still not eating. Her burrow is like an ant colony down the side around the bottom then started across and back up. Man she either likes to dig or I have messed up something.

Thanatos

3 Year Member
I dropped a second cricket(prekilled) in after she ate the first and that one is gone too....Mabey the zombie cricket apocolypse has started.

Latest posts