• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Howdy from Texas!

Bodisky

Tarantula Club Member
Yes, you find the metacercaria of some digenes in crabs and you may also find the metacestodes of tapeworms. I think acanthocephala also utilize the crustaceans. Copepods are intermediate host of many marine digenes and cestodes. I also have seen the larval nematodes of marine mammals in scallops. I don't know the life cycle of the tarantula nematode. Is it a soil nematode and opportunistic pathogen of tarantulas. I guess it has to get in insects at a life cycle stage.
After dissecting hundreds of nematode-infested tarantulas, I concluded that the nematodes entered through the mouth. Once there they multiply. It was not unusual to find several stages of nematodes in one sample from the mouth. Nematodes thrive in the moist environment, once that is gone, they move to the chelicera tissue. I have never found nematodes in any other area other than the mouth and chelicerae. The symptoms of a nematode infestation in tarantulas are constant drinking and soaking the mouth. In the end-stage, they start to submerge completely in their water dish. I am guessing, at this point, the tarantula, unable to eat or drink, feels the effects of desiccation, and naturally goes to the water. I also found viable nematodes in the water dishes of an afflicted tarantula. As far as the life cycle before it enters the tarantula is unknown or was at the time. We sent a sample to the USDA. They were guessing it looked like Steinernema but complete ID/classification was not possible. I felt it was a nematode with nictitating abilities. I still have the nematode microscopic photos if you are interested. I would love your input. I discovered that nematodes illuminate under polarized light and that made them easy to find. After eight years I had to back off from the project. It was heartbreaking, every aspect of it, from helplessly watching the T die and then dissecting it. I hope someone else picked up the baton. Now I am using my polarizing microscopes to photograph molts and categorize fang structures. Fang structures vary from species to species. My group picture is a P. murinas eye structure from a molt.

arachbiodude

After dissecting hundreds of nematode-infested tarantulas, I concluded that the nematodes entered through the mouth. Once there they multiply. It was not unusual to find several stages of nematodes in one sample from the mouth. Nematodes thrive in the moist environment, once that is gone, they move to the chelicera tissue. I have never found nematodes in any other area other than the mouth and chelicerae. The symptoms of a nematode infestation in tarantulas are constant drinking and soaking the mouth. In the end-stage, they start to submerge completely in their water dish. I am guessing, at this point, the tarantula, unable to eat or drink, feels the effects of desiccation, and naturally goes to the water. I also found viable nematodes in the water dishes of an afflicted tarantula. As far as the life cycle before it enters the tarantula is unknown or was at the time. We sent a sample to the USDA. They were guessing it looked like Steinernema but complete ID/classification was not possible. I felt it was a nematode with nictitating abilities. I still have the nematode microscopic photos if you are interested. I would love your input. I discovered that nematodes illuminate under polarized light and that made them easy to find. After eight years I had to back off from the project. It was heartbreaking, every aspect of it, from helplessly watching the T die and then dissecting it. I hope someone else picked up the baton. Now I am using my polarizing microscopes to photograph molts and categorize fang structures. Fang structures vary from species to species. My group picture is a P. murinas eye structure from a molt.
I don't think I could help with ID. I worked on some nematodes in meiofauna but have no literature to the families when I lost my job. I had some nematodes of fish and road kill that I worked on that were easier to ID. I hope that USDA can help. Are there any head structures or teeth. Any copulatory bursa or amphids or phasmids. The nematode keys are long and hard.

Bodisky

Tarantula Club Member
I don't think I could help with ID. I worked on some nematodes in meiofauna but have no literature to the families when I lost my job. I had some nematodes of fish and road kill that I worked on that were easier to ID. I hope that USDA can help. Are there any head structures or teeth. Any copulatory bursa or amphids or phasmids. The nematode keys are long and hard.
The USDA used an ESM for the attempt at ID. But sending viable samples to them back then was a crapshoot. Often by the time I received the specimen, it was either dead or dying. I don't think they could get enough definition for teeth; head structure is what they went on for the ID. I'll review my images and files and let you know what I find. Thanks for the input! Much appreciated.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome aboard, glad to have someone of your experience and tenure amongst the ranks. Looking forward to your insight and contributions!

Latest posts