• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Howdy from Texas!

Bodisky

Tarantula Club Member
Hey! My name is Kerry and I've been keeping T's since 1995. I am a retired microbiologist/researcher/grant writer. I am a founding member of the Research Institute for Exotic Species, a lab now absorbed by another lab. We were the first to document and microscopically photograph the nematode infestation disease in tarantulas. We had assistance from the USDA on nematode ID but it was not definite. I believe now the nematodes have been identified although I have not read the current research. I still spend a little time on my scopes but now I just enjoy spending my time with my T's, parrots, dogs, donkeys and managing a website for a local animal shelter. I don't usually join hobby lists but I'm going to give this one a shot. I like the format and the people.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello there and welcome to Tarantula Forum! I love your background. You will fit right in! I'm sure you would be a great source for someone with questions about tarantulas!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
GifMeme 18032022093425.gif

Bodisky

Tarantula Club Member
Hi, that is great. I studied parasitology also. Mostly marine parasitology of fish including sharks.
Very interesting! I know some marine parasites are symbiotic. It is interesting to note that some scientists have observed and/or collected tarantulas living with nematodes in a symbiotic relationship. Although, the biological interaction mutualistic, commensalistic, or parasitic is unknown. At least to the extent of my readings, it is still unknown. However, I do know that nematode infestation in a captive tarantula is unfortunately fatal. I see you mentioned fish, have you observed parasites in crabs?

Noodlelove

Hey! My name is Kerry and I've been keeping T's since 1995. I am a retired microbiologist/researcher/grant writer. I am a founding member of the Research Institute for Exotic Species, a lab now absorbed by another lab. We were the first to document and microscopically photograph the nematode infestation disease in tarantulas. We had assistance from the USDA on nematode ID but it was not definite. I believe now the nematodes have been identified although I have not read the current research. I still spend a little time on my scopes but now I just enjoy spending my time with my T's, parrots, dogs, donkeys and managing a website for a local animal shelter. I don't usually join hobby lists but I'm going to give this one a shot. I like the format and the people.
Nice to meet you. Your experience is a really cool thing. I'm happy you're here

arachbiodude

Very interesting! I know some marine parasites are symbiotic. It is interesting to note that some scientists have observed and/or collected tarantulas living with nematodes in a symbiotic relationship. Although, the biological interaction mutualistic, commensalistic, or parasitic is unknown. At least to the extent of my readings, it is still unknown. However, I do know that nematode infestation in a captive tarantula is unfortunately fatal. I see you mentioned fish, have you observed parasites in crabs?
Yes, you find the metacercaria of some digenes in crabs and you may also find the metacestodes of tapeworms. I think acanthocephala also utilize the crustaceans. Copepods are intermediate host of many marine digenes and cestodes. I also have seen the larval nematodes of marine mammals in scallops. I don't know the life cycle of the tarantula nematode. Is it a soil nematode and opportunistic pathogen of tarantulas. I guess it has to get in insects at a life cycle stage.

Latest posts