• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How Much Space

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
How much space do you have for your collection. I hear people say they don't have any room. Thats something I find hard to believe unless your income is from breeding and selling. So how many Ts do you have and how much space do they take up. I have 2 shelves that are 28" x27" x12". On them I have 38 tarantulas and none would be considered slings. 4 of the containers are on the large size too. Most of the rest are shoebox size.

BossRoss

3 Year Member
I think another important thing to take into consideration is what the Ts are being kept in. Some people will use stackable plastic containers, which ends up saving space but lacks the easy view-ability of the T when compared to non stackable glass containers.

The only reason I am running out of space is because I am yet to buy a decent shelf, I currently have them on a square table(about 1.5 meter) and have enclosures almost side by side and then I have 6 ontop of my tool box (probably 1300mm x 900mm). In total I now have 35(and 5 of them are H gigas in the same enclosure).

I live in an apartment that has a spare bedroom that I am using as a T room/storage room/my "quite spot".... multi purpose room really- yet to get somebody who is willing to sleep in it LOL.

A decent, dedicated shelving option is needed for the Ts in my opinion.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've only got a 3 bedroom bungalow with a family of 5, so there is no spare room. The spiders are in the living/dining room because that's the centre of activity in out house and I want to be able to see them all the time, lol. Unfortunately with 5 people, 2 large dogs and furniture to match, I'm only able to fit one small shelf cupboard in for them. At the moment there's a bit of space on it, but that is because 6 of my 8 spiders, being slings or juves, are in their "kindergarten" containers still. The 3 arboreals should be able to fit on one shelf together, but that leaves 1 B. Boehmei and the LP who will take up one each.
I'll see once they're all fully grown.
This is the shelf set (pic taken before P. met and LP). There's 2 more spaces at the bottom, currently occupied by the life food and equipment (water spray bottle, forceps, etc)
IMG_5347_zpsd35aeae8.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As I have 4 cats I keep all my Ts in ExoTerra vivs for security. Once my 2 LPs are a bit bigger they will move into 2' vivs leaving more space for slings. I would use 9l Really Useful boxes but one of the cats knows how to open them.

Left to right I have 6.5'' P vittata, 4'' OBT, the next 2 contain 19, soon to be 21 slings in their containers and then there is our G. rosea.

Ghost

3 Year Member
At the moment I only have 7 T's as I've been taking it easy since getting back into the hobby,however I have room for a decent size shelfing unit that I could probably fit about 30 adult T's on,After that I would have to think about getting rid of some of my wife's books to free up more space lol

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My "spider room" doubles as my den. So, it is not only cool, but fully functional. Spend most of my time at home in there. It is approximately 16" x 18". However, I do have bookshelves in there originally for books. They have been "repurposed" due to the Addiction so have a lot of vertical space as well. Of course, I wish it was bigger. My wife has banned the collection to this room and this room only. I will take that as a WIN. :)