• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How many?

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
A GBB breeding group? Please elaborate.

Its mostly males and females :)

In all seriousness I have 5 females (number 6 died for no apparent reason) and 2 MMs currently. Feeding up the females before pairing but they seem like bottomless pits!

MrKrowe

How in the H do you feed them all?

It's not so bad, spiders don't need to eat very often. Feeding and maintaining my spiders is a de-stresser for me so it's not a chore. Also, with that many to deal with there's always a nice surprise like a moult or some interesting behaviour to be observed, so feeding time always has a little sweetener.

Probably the biggest pain in the butt is looking after the food. I have two roach colonies and a small mealworm farm which take more maintenance between them than the spiders. Both the roach colonies are well established so I rarely have to buy spider food, just the occasional treat such as lob worms for my Theraphosas or morio worms for my largest spiders.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's not so bad, spiders don't need to eat very often. Feeding and maintaining my spiders is a de-stresser for me so it's not a chore. Also, with that many to deal with there's always a nice surprise like a moult or some interesting behaviour to be observed, so feeding time always has a little sweetener.

Probably the biggest pain in the butt is looking after the food. I have two roach colonies and a small mealworm farm which take more maintenance between them than the spiders. Both the roach colonies are well established so I rarely have to buy spider food, just the occasional treat such as lob worms for my Theraphosas or morio worms for my largest spiders.
Yep, the food requires more attention than the spiders when you have a large collection. I still have a dubia colony, but its too much food for my five spiders. I still keep the colony though. Maybe I'll release them in my back field, see what happens. :D

MrKrowe

Yep, the food requires more attention than the spiders when you have a large collection. I still have a dubia colony, but its too much food for my five spiders. I still keep the colony though. Maybe I'll release them in my back field, see what happens. :D

I heard an aquarium shop assistant once who said something which stuck with me - he said that you’re not a fish keeper, you’re a water keeper. Keep the water right and the fish will thrive - Wonderful advice.

It’s not about keeping spiders, it’s about maintaining the environment you keep them in and the food you are going to feed them. My roaches get the best food I can supply, they are kept clean and comfortable. In return I get plenty of babies, and fat healthy adults. Without high quality food I shouldn’t expect healthy spiders.

But it’s still a PITA.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I heard an aquarium shop assistant once who said something which stuck with me - he said that you’re not a fish keeper, you’re a water keeper. Keep the water right and the fish will thrive - Wonderful advice.

It’s not about keeping spiders, it’s about maintaining the environment you keep them in and the food you are going to feed them. My roaches get the best food I can supply, they are kept clean and comfortable. In return I get plenty of babies, and fat healthy adults. Without high quality food I shouldn’t expect healthy spiders.

But it’s still a PITA.
I like how you put that! You are so right! :)

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I may well have more critters then firearms, which says a lot, not even counting Nyx the cat.

In terms of feeding, I typically go through a box of crickets every time, giving them to my pokies and the rest to my C versicolor and B hamorii, usually one or two.

The three slings are still just a bit too small for the large sized crickets that I get.

I feed the remaining survivors to my 3 destroyers of worlds, namely my T stirmi, L klugi and P sp machala. Any one of these is a great way to toss out excess feeders that'll likely die in less then a week and be useless by then.

I also do super worms, meal worms (for the 3 slings) and roaches for all the others as the main food source.

A wide variety of food seems to make all the difference.