• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HOW MANY Ts??

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Two for me. G. pulchra and G. pulchripes. In my case my collection habit is largely curbed by Maine the state I live in. Maine only allows G rosea in addition to the other two. I am tempted, very tempted to get larger ones of the 1.5 inch Ts I have. But I am hoping to get the state to allow more tarantulas. It may be a long slow process.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I personally think that there hasn't been a lot of interest and advocacy expressed for tarantulas and certainly not like herps. The Maine Herpetological Society has been around more than 30 years advocating for captive care of reptiles and amphibians. So it is not surprising that there are more than 120 reptiles/ amphibians on the unrestricted list, including monitor lizards and large snakes. I don't think there are any venemous snakes on the list.

Times have changed and i think the regulations have been stricter and more lenient in the past. Maybe 20 years ago I applied and got a permit to "import" and possess a few tarantulas, including several Brachypelma and a Chilean rosea. I never did buy them, life came up. Then about 10 years ago I was told i could only get tarantulas if I was using them for educational purposes or as part of my occupation, such as an animal rehabber.
The current changes came out in 2017 and seem to be inbetween.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
It is not all gloom. There are provisions to add animals to the unrestricted list. I think it is just going to take some patience and convincing.

I do think that there is a genuine concern about invasive species wreaking havoc on Maine's enironment. I too share the thought that many, most, maybe all tarantulas could not survive Maine winters, but we don't know for sure. I remember reading a post about a wild tarantula in Texas surviving 40 degree temperatures ( i think i am remembering right).

Also Maine did not have ticks until the 1980s and they are flourishing now. I know they are different than Ts, but often times nature finds a way to survive.

Sorry, but i seemed to have diverted the discussion, so I will end it here and perhaps do some updates in the future in another thread.

Daubz1977

I have a pretty good idea who amongst us has the most Ts. But, it would be nice to share your numbers--just for fun. I will start.

Over 4 years, my addiction has steadily increased. But, for the past 2 years, I have reached a comfortable steady state for me: 30. I plan to keep 30 tarantulas for the foreseeable future. When one dies I plan to replace the one. What about the rest of the community?
I currently have 9. I have definitely been bitten by the bug though I want as many different species as possible but have had to stop at 9 for now because I dont have enough space here but once I move and have a room just for my pets it will be full steam ahead.

The HoochGoblin

I have a pretty good idea who amongst us has the most Ts. But, it would be nice to share your numbers--just for fun. I will start.

Over 4 years, my addiction has steadily increased. But, for the past 2 years, I have reached a comfortable steady state for me: 30. I plan to keep 30 tarantulas for the foreseeable future. When one dies I plan to replace the one. What about the rest of the community?
LOL, I only have 6

madvent75

This Friday I will receive my 1st :) It’s a Brazilian Black, 1 1/4 “. I heard those were great beginner T’s. It’s actually in honor of my father who passed away a year ago, he’d wear a black shirt everyday and he had a black/grey beard and mustache and I saw these Brazilian black tarantulas and I was like, that’s my dad in tarantula form- crazy I know. Nonetheless, here I am watching videos and researching and falling in love with tarantulas. I hope it’s a male so I can name him James after my Pa. if it ends up being female I’ll name her Morticia James.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
This Friday I will receive my 1st :) It’s a Brazilian Black, 1 1/4 “. I heard those were great beginner T’s. It’s actually in honor of my father who passed away a year ago, he’d wear a black shirt everyday and he had a black/grey beard and mustache and I saw these Brazilian black tarantulas and I was like, that’s my dad in tarantula form- crazy I know. Nonetheless, here I am watching videos and researching and falling in love with tarantulas. I hope it’s a male so I can name him James after my Pa. if it ends up being female I’ll name her Morticia James.
Congrats! I received a G. pulchra about the same size last week. My second T in about 3 weeks. I look forward to watching it grow. At that size, they can be a bit shy, others have reported. Mine went straight for its hide and I have not seen it since. A cricket went into the hide last Friday and I accidentally found it a few days later on the other side of the hide (that I suspect was excavated earlier by the T. It had been coverered by moss.
I have read that hiding can happen for a number of reasons, including for a sense of security, privacy, pre-molting/ molting.
I had been tempted to lift up the cork bark and peer in, but I resisted so as not to stress the little guy or gal.

Wolfclans

I have every T there is

Tarantulafeets

I've been keeping for over a year and is currently at 12:
0.1.0 L parahybana
1.0.1 T albopilosus
0.0.1 T vagans
0.1.0 A chalcodes
0.1.0 C marshalli
0.0.1 H gigas (maybe female)
0.0.1 P irminia (maybe male)
0.1.0 C cyaneopubescens
0.0.1 A avicularia
0.0.1 E murinus
0.0.1 C versicolor

madvent75

Congrats! I received a G. pulchra about the same size last week. My second T in about 3 weeks. I look forward to watching it grow. At that size, they can be a bit shy, others have reported. Mine went straight for its hide and I have not seen it since. A cricket went into the hide last Friday and I accidentally found it a few days later on the other side of the hide (that I suspect was excavated earlier by the T. It had been coverered by moss.
I have read that hiding can happen for a number of reasons, including for a sense of security, privacy, pre-molting/ molting.
I had been tempted to lift up the cork bark and peer in, but I resisted so as not to stress the little guy or gal.
Thank you, I’m so excited! Yeah I do remember reading or watching it in a video that it’s best to let them relax after being shipped. I’m really looking forward to this experience

smallbike

3 Year Member
Just the two! A. seemanni (4.5” legspan) and an itty bitty little C. versicolor that would fit on a quarter all stretched out.

I don’t want to have more than I can carry in case of an emergency. That said, I’m saving up so that if I ever come across an H. chilensis, I’m getting it, no hesitation. I might make an exception for a G. pulchripes or A. chalcodes too.

Latest posts