• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How Many Boards Are You On

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
Well honestly the use of pet names and common names on forums drive me nuts sometimes lol unless you clearly state within the thread you are using it on what sp. it is. The only place I really use pet names is when talking about my frogs in my frog forum picture thread. That is another very friendly forum with some knowledgeable folks on it.

I really enjoy that people here can respectfully disagree with each other. The only time I've seen someone "jumped on" for what they had posted I have to admit I was the one who did the jumping lol, but they were talking about sticking an OBT in their mouth, and "taming the aggressive beasts" that were OW T's. I think they had it coming there though :p

What?? In their mouth?? Well let them, they won't be on for awhile!! As for pet names, I'm not big on that unless it's one that warrants a name. Common names I have no problem with. Everybody knows what your talking about when you say the common name, I think? Scientific names are good when your in that sort of a conversation. I like to think we are common people, so I like to use common names.It seems funny to me to say, "my chromatopelma cyaneopubescens took a crap today", "my GBB took a crap today", sounds better and a lot less like I'm trying to act like somebody I'm not. Some of you can say the scientific names like your own, thats cool. I can't.

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Honestly I don't know alot of the common names. I know they big ones and that's about it. Each individual species can have several that vary by which part of the world the person is from. And many are very similar to each other. Binomial names are the same through out the world and its 1 name for each species, and if you keep up with reading online people usually post when taxonomy revisions come about that change those names

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Honestly I don't know alot of the common names. I know they big ones and that's about it. Each individual species can have several that vary by which part of the world the person is from. And many are very similar to each other. Binomial names are the same through out the world and its 1 name for each species, and if you keep up with reading online people usually post when taxonomy revisions come about that change those names

Some of the scientific names I can cope with but some of them I have no idea how to pronounce. I guess I ought to try and find somewhere where they give the phonetics.

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
For example; because of the name "orange baboon tarantula(or bitey thing)" when people see pictures of different localities of Pterinochilus murinus they don't believe its actually P. murinus because its not orange. Another one is Poecilotheria, they are called "ornamentals" here in the states, but I have also seen them called "parachute spiders" and a couple others I can't think of off the top of my head. Then you have Heteroscodra maculata which is usually called "Togo starburst baboon" but also some times gets labeled "ornamental baboons" which leads some unknowing keepers to believe that they are buying a Poecilotheria sp. since it was labeled an "ornamental"

And there are many other examples.

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
For example; because of the name "orange baboon tarantula(or bitey thing)" when people see pictures of different localities of Pterinochilus murinus they don't believe its actually P. murinus because its not orange. Another one is Poecilotheria, they are called "ornamentals" here in the states, but I have also seen them called "parachute spiders" and a couple others I can't think of off the top of my head. Then you have Heteroscodra maculata which is usually called "Togo starburst baboon" but also some times gets labeled ornamental baboons which leads some unknowing keepers to believe that they are buying a Poecilotheria sp. since it was labeled an "ornamental"

And there are many other examples.

The one that amazed me was the P. metallica. While I was researching the before buying mine I came across a great list of alternative names.
Gooty sapphire ornamental tree spider
Gooty sapphire
Gooty tarantula
metallic tarantula
pea**** parachute spider
pea**** tarantula
salepurgu

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Some of the scientific names I can cope with but some of them I have no idea how to pronounce. I guess I ought to try and find somewhere where they give the phonetics.

There is a site that has them, I'll see if I can find it later and post a link. But as long as your close people will know what your talking about.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There is a site that has them, I'll see if I can find it later and post a link. But as long as your close people will know what your talking about.

Oooo, that would be great, thank you.:T:

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Something that's strikingly funny,isn't it fairly new people rewriting the descriptions of well known scientists within the tarantula field ? Shouldn't we then say,keep quiet po**** and others were in this way longer or were more involved in the field. Imagine we were still following the original advice etc of 20years ago ? Lmao

Doesn't quite work like that. What we understand about spiders from studying them has moved forward from those years. If they had the means to travel and collect as widely as we have now along with the technology to analyze samples, they would have come out with the same results. Without people like Po****, we would have no idea what we have for a start and there would be many more hybrids out there than what we currently have. Also, many spiders are reclassified and then later moved back to the original Genus/species.

Look at something like Poecilotheria formosa. It was described in 1899 by Po****. In 2006 Rao et al. described a species called P.nallamalaiensis. This was later then discovered to be formosa, so the name nallamalaiensis was dropped again.
Same thing with vittata. Was described in 1895 by Po**** and then changed to pederseni in 2001 by Kirk and when looked at in 2005 was still considered to be pederseni by Peters. When looking at original papers again, it was found that vittata was in fact the correct name, and so was changed back.

Naming and describing spiders is a matter of opinion and as long as the paper is peer reviewed and accepted it is valid. As we learn more about the spiders (Especially with DNA analysis becoming more available), spiders that newer guys described and named could be synonymised with spiders that were described by the Po****'s of the world. In the scientific community people are described as lumpers and splitters. Some believe that similar spiders are the same thing and others believe that similar spiders with slightly different characteristics are actually seperate species. With the DNA analysis here, I believe that many wild species will be split. As for what we have in the hobby, that is anyone's guess.

True, but I have yet to see anything but adult replies and comments. Even when not agreeing. Such a pleasure..

They have been here, and have been removed from here too...

Agree fully. Common names differ among countries. If I told you that I had a gewone bobbejaan spinnekop, would you understand what I was talking about? :)

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Doesn't quite work like that. What we understand about spiders from studying them has moved forward from those years. If they had the means to travel and collect as widely as we have now along with the technology to analyze samples, they would have come out with the same results. Without people like Po****, we would have no idea what we have for a start and there would be many more hybrids out there than what we currently have. Also, many spiders are reclassified and then later moved back to the original Genus/species.

Look at something like Poecilotheria formosa. It was described in 1899 by Po****. In 2006 Rao et al. described a species called P.nallamalaiensis. This was later then discovered to be formosa, so the name nallamalaiensis was dropped again.
Same thing with vittata. Was described in 1895 by Po**** and then changed to pederseni in 2001 by Kirk and when looked at in 2005 was still considered to be pederseni by Peters. When looking at original papers again, it was found that vittata was in fact the correct name, and so was changed back.

Naming and describing spiders is a matter of opinion and as long as the paper is peer reviewed and accepted it is valid. As we learn more about the spiders (Especially with DNA analysis becoming more available), spiders that newer guys described and named could be synonymised with spiders that were described by the Po****'s of the world. In the scientific community people are described as lumpers and splitters. Some believe that similar spiders are the same thing and others believe that similar spiders with slightly different characteristics are actually seperate species. With the DNA analysis here, I believe that many wild species will be split. As for what we have in the hobby, that is anyone's guess.

They have been here, and have been removed from here too...

Agree fully. Common names differ among countries. If I told you that I had a gewone bobbejaan spinnekop, would you understand what I was talking about? :)
I put that statement in the wrong light,I was trying to say that old or young both in the hobby could contribute. If it wasn't for po**** and others,we wouldn't have a basis and be further behind. Then due to others of more recent time,we're advancing. It is a symbiosis,the one can't go without the other. My whole argument stems from the fact that some allow no one an opinion due to their experience, if say you point out something I might not agree but that's for the public to decide. I hope I have put it across better,and I agree to your reply.

Last edited:

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
I put that statement in the wrong light,I was trying to say that old or young both in the hobby could contribute. If it wasn't for po**** and others,we wouldn't have a basis and be further behind. Then due to others of more recent time,we're advancing. It is a symbiosis,the one can't go without the other. My whole argument stems from the fact that some allow no one an opinion due to their experience, if say you point out something I might not agree but that's for the public to decide. I hope I have put it across better,and I agree to your reply.

Well said. Everybody has an opinion, right or wrong. What we don't need is someone who says something and refuses to even listen to an other opinion. Their way or the highway! If you don't agree, fine don't, but don't tell the person they are wrong. I've seen many "disagreements" on here and thats ok, it's good, but to take it to the level other boards do is out of line. As much as some would like to think so, they don't know everything, no matter how long they have been in the hobby. So like they say, lets agree to disagree and let it go at that.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well said. Everybody has an opinion, right or wrong. What we don't need is someone who says something and refuses to even listen to an other opinion. Their way or the highway! If you don't agree, fine don't, but don't tell the person they are wrong. I've seen many "disagreements" on here and thats ok, it's good, but to take it to the level other boards do is out of line. As much as some would like to think so, they don't know everything, no matter how long they have been in the hobby. So like they say, lets agree to disagree and let it go at that.
Hello
At least I explained it better now haha,I am just sad that the hobby is the way it is. I have been pulled into fights,and I have decided to distance myself from it. No one is perfect,and the same for me. I do differ in some ways from people I've seen over time,I learn from making them I don't let them make me. As for other boards,I wanted to participate in other boards but after an incident doesn't matter where it happened I kept my composure and stepped away will admit I so wanted to fight back but I believe I would have pulled myself to their level.

I stated facts which weren't answered,I was shunned told I know nothing because a said person has more of a specimen than I do without even knowing about me or enquiring. So after I was told I knew nothing,not by facts but insult I stepped back. I want to stipulate something,if you have 100 say pokies and another hobbyists only 20,the amount doesn't depict the experience since 20 will have more of your all round attention than 100. That is just my opinion,in no way a rule.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There is such a wide variation in weather conditions depending on where you live that not every one needs to keep their Ts in exactly the same way and this can cause a lot of arguments on forums and it needs to be taken into account.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
That's my new favorite reason not to use common names. I'll take 5 of whatever they are.
It's a common baboon spider (Harpactira hamiltoni). :) Sure they would be for sale up there. :) One of the genera that only a few of us are allowed to keep legally in SA. :)

Latest posts