• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How long will they make me wait???

Gavin van den Berg

3 Year Member
Hi everyone,

I've gone through the whole winter without even 1 molt. Could the flood gates be opening soon or what do you think?

I'm getting anxious, and excited at the same time, for upcoming molts. I've documented the molt cycles of all my T's and I'm pretty sure some of my smaller T's should have molted by now:

B Boehmei (7.5cm DLS):
Previous molt cycle - 117 days in between molts
This molt cycle - going on 225 days since last molt.

B Vagans (2.8cm DLS):
Previous molt cycle - 74 days in between molts
This molt cycle - going on 145 days since last molt.

N Chromatus (5.5cm DLS):
Previous molt cycle - 69 days in between molts
This molt cycle - going on 166 days since last molt.

P. Regalis (2.8cm DLS):
Previous molt cycle - Unknown days in between molts
This molt cycle - going on 125 days since last molt.

Perhaps I'm not feeding them enough, I feed once a week and feed them 1-3 crickets each. Any suggestions on changes I should be making to feeding/maintenance is more than welcome.

hellknite

3 Year Member
Hi. I think you are feeding your Ts just fine but you can feed them say 3x a week. I agree that cold slows down a bit. I also observed the same that they don't molt more often during colder months but sometimes they do.

Gavin van den Berg

3 Year Member
Hi,

So two of my T's eventually molted and both are looking a lot bigger than before the molt. I'll try to take photos of the molt and perhaps some of you on the forum can help me to determine what sex they are.

The two T's that molted are:

N Chromatus (probably around 6.5cm DLS now):
Date molted: 2014-09-28
Days since previous molt: 178

P. Regalis (probably around 5.5cm DLS now):
Date molted: 2014-09-27
Days since previous molt: 136

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi,

So two of my T's eventually molted and both are looking a lot bigger than before the molt. I'll try to take photos of the molt and perhaps some of you on the forum can help me to determine what sex they are.

The two T's that molted are:

N Chromatus (probably around 6.5cm DLS now):
Date molted: 2014-09-28
Days since previous molt: 178

P. Regalis (probably around 5.5cm DLS now):
Date molted: 2014-09-27
Days since previous molt: 136

Love the detailed recordings Gavin !

Gavin van den Berg

3 Year Member
Hi Martin,

I use that exact same app to track my feedings/molts/species/temprament/temprature etc. It's a very good app and would recommend it to anyone that owns a T.

I've got and extra critter now, P. Imperator, which I still need to add to the app. Luckily you can add different species that do not appear on the list.

I've only got 7 T's at the moment, but it's so easy to add more to the app, I'll probably be using it for years to come.