• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi Guys! :) need help please!!!

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Could also be Brachypelma epicureanum because of the black spot on the rump... But to be honest, these are quite rare, then it's most likely B vagans. Or, as Phil said (kudos to him!), Grammostola iheringi because of the fuzziness on your photo (if it's a iheringi, you are truly a lucky guy because they are beautiful and expensive!). Try to put other photos online, with natural light and with flash...

About the coco brick: as you said, you have to put water so that it gain volume and size. Then, let it dry outside (euh... weather is not very shiny these days...) or bake it, because your Brachy or Grammo won't be comfortable if it's too moist. You can also wait a few days with the substrate in a dry and hot room (for instance a laundry/utility room). That being said, B vagans are okay on a (lightly) moist substrate, they aren't coming from a desert place.

Whatever it is, she's (if it's a "she" - which is likely if she's the size of a fist and has this kind of body shape) is a lovely tarantula and you are a good man to take care of her.

What about the other one, the little one? Have you got photos? Is it the same, but smaller?

EdwardD

3 Year Member
Wow thank u so much! Thts so helpful :) ive been reserching the Iheringi and she seems to match this most,her look and also shes fast and defensive at times.

The other one, she ate the 1st night i took her. He looked the same, quater the size- was hiding on roof of tank. I didnt see if they mated. Will deffo get more pics up!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For coco-fiber bricks i put in a few cups of water and let it absorb that, then scrape that moist part off the brick. repeat until the brick is thin enough you can break it. then i break it up, add a little water and mix it all together (busting up the dry pieces as you go) until all the water is absorbed and you have moist substrate. I remove some of this moist coco fiber and add dry peat moss until it's the consistency i want. Moist enough to hold shape when you squeeze it but not have it drip any water.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just fed her. She is super fast! And quite defensive. Hope this pics better can see her rump much more clearly
Personally, I would rule out Brachypelma vagans (can have all black carapce but very unlikely) so either
B. angustum, B sabulosum or Panama red rump? the trace of a diamond pattern on the abdomen is throwing me a little tbh. Could be where hair has grown back froma moult, he way the picture was taken or just bow the ligt reflrcting but normally the red ks more solid in formation.
One hing I do know. It is a very pretty spider and you were both lucky to find each other. ☺
Re: P. METALLICA venom and defensive behaviour, yes that can be he case, but tbh, this is the same for most Pokies including the Indian Ornamental

Telson

3 Year Member
My first thought was vagans. But the red is too red, and its much fuzzier than my vagans. Im going with iheringi. Hard to guess based on colors alone.

Shoeasaurus

3 Year Member
when the fangs are solid black. If you can't get her to see the fangs (don't prod her to see them) wait at least a week. If they're not ready to eat they'll run from the food or slap it.
thanks
also how soon after can i take away the old exoskeleton....when am i allowed to pick her up

Latest posts