• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi Guys! :) need help please!!!

EdwardD

3 Year Member
Hey everyone!

Good to be here.

I am in need of your help!

I work for the RSPCA and on monday two kind bin men brought in to us 2 tarantulas. One is fist size, im guessing is female. The other much smaller, and hiding in top of tank. I owned a tarantula when i was younger, and i decided i would adopt them as everyone at my work had phobias. Over the night she ate the smaller one- im not sure if they mated? Didnt see. I have her at my house now- she has small heat matt, i have fed her well on crickets ( her appetite is brilliant ). For one though, i am unsure what species she is?! From research ive determined Mexican Red Rump as she is all black with rusty red rump. Shes always on display and is lovely temprement. Secondly, i am worried she may be pregnant. I havnt seen an egg sac, and ive been told i can remove it to freeze the sac. Is this right? I know she will be protective, and i treat her with absolute care as i know they are fragile. I have ordered a glads terrarium for her and plan to make it so cozy for her. Any advice would be so much appreciated. Also the sex?! If she is female or not? Sorry for the very long message! I have so many questions! Really loving being a tarantula owner and glad i saved her from an awful doom! Thanks everyone :) Edward

syzygy

3 Year Member
Post some pics and surely somebody here can confirm the species. There are a few that match your general description.
Were the T's brought in together in the same terrarium or were two separate T's brought in and then put together? Very few species will co-habitate.
Sex is much harder to determine even with photos, but if you can get a clear shot of the underside it may be possible.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey everyone!

Good to be here.

I am in need of your help!

I work for the RSPCA and on monday two kind bin men brought in to us 2 tarantulas. One is fist size, im guessing is female. The other much smaller, and hiding in top of tank. I owned a tarantula when i was younger, and i decided i would adopt them as everyone at my work had phobias. Over the night she ate the smaller one- im not sure if they mated? Didnt see. I have her at my house now- she has small heat matt, i have fed her well on crickets ( her appetite is brilliant ). For one though, i am unsure what species she is?! From research ive determined Mexican Red Rump as she is all black with rusty red rump. Shes always on display and is lovely temprement. Secondly, i am worried she may be pregnant. I havnt seen an egg sac, and ive been told i can remove it to freeze the sac. Is this right? I know she will be protective, and i treat her with absolute care as i know they are fragile. I have ordered a glads terrarium for her and plan to make it so cozy for her. Any advice would be so much appreciated. Also the sex?! If she is female or not? Sorry for the very long message! I have so many questions! Really loving being a tarantula owner and glad i saved her from an awful doom! Thanks everyone :) Edward
Hi and welcome to the forum. Really pleased to hear you have gone the extra mile and taken on a bus man's holiday to care for the one that is left. As syzygy has stated, try to upload a pic or two so we can confirm the species and if you do get ventral (underside) pics, then it may be possible to sex. One more thought..... Some people do not deserve to look after other living creatures!!!! (Not you obviously, the cretin who put them in a bin).
If that was a sexually mature male that was eaten, if he did manage romhave some spider fun before being eaten then the sac will noit be produced for a good few months yet. However, if much smaller it is highly unlikely it was a mature male or maybe even he same species as tarantula males are all pretty much the same size as females and often appear larger due to their "leggy" appearance. Hope this helps.

EdwardD

3 Year Member
Thanks for reply, much appreciated :) they were brought in together in same terrarium. Its so hard because i have no history of her- so ive just been researching. I will get a photo when its light!

EdwardD

3 Year Member
Hi and welcome to the forum. Really pleased to hear you have gone the extra mile and taken on a bus man's holiday to care for the one that is left. As syzygy has stated, try to upload a pic or two so we can confirm the species and if you do get ventral (underside) pics, then it may be possible to sex. One more thought..... Some people do not deserve to look after other living creatures!!!! (Not you obviously, the cretin who put them in a bin).
If that was a sexually mature male that was eaten, if he did manage romhave some spider fun before being eaten then the sac will noit be produced for a good few months yet. However, if much smaller it is highly unlikely it was a mature male or maybe even he same species as tarantula males are all pretty much the same size as females and often appear larger due to their "leggy" appearance. Hope this helps.

Hey Phil! Thank you :) your reply was very helpful! Nice to connect with fellow T keepers! I will post a picture in a minute, i have to use flash, and i know they h8 bright light, but wana know what species she is so i can cater to her needs appropriatley. Agree with you totally, i see so many mistreated dogs and cats in my line of work, but felt no different when the ts came in. Feel a huge responsability to care for her now and let her thrive :) shes part of the family now ha.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey Phil! Thank you :) your reply was very helpful! Nice to connect with fellow T keepers! I will post a picture in a minute, i have to use flash, and i know they h8 bright light, but wana know what species she is so i can cater to her needs appropriatley. Agree with you totally, i see so many mistreated dogs and cats in my line of work, but felt no different when the ts came in. Feel a huge responsability to care for her now and let her thrive :) shes part of the family now ha.
And so the addiction begins.....lol
We all started off with one, I am up to 65 now with 7 more due to arrive next week. Lol. My list is in my post signature (if s/he is a Vagans, I have a coupel of slings of them). I also have a picture thread but none of the vagans and mine are slings so will look nothing like yours. Look forward to the pics. TBH the flash does not ushally bitgervthem. Prolonged exposure to daylight yes, but a quick flash (said the actress to the Bishop) will be fine.

EdwardD

3 Year Member
This is Angela :)

Attachments

• IMG_0903.JPG
    IMG_0903.JPG
    606.5 KB · Views: 44

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is Angela :)
She looks lovely and in good condition considering. A bit too dark to be certain what species tho. Vagans usually have what appears to be a small gold ring around the carapace leg and fang sections that I cant see but this mjght be down to the light. Might be best to wait until the morning and try a pic in natural light. Whatever she is I am sure she will have a much better life now. Assume you are in UK if working fro RSPCA, which part of the country?

EdwardD

3 Year Member
Awww i know! Shes very cute She definetly doenst have gold parts. All black with just red rump. Thats why i was maybe thinking a male. I know they are less colourful and thinner. Really appreciate your time!!

EdwardD

3 Year Member
Awww i know! Shes very cute She definetly doenst have gold parts. All black with just red rump. Thats why i was maybe thinking a male. I know they are less colourful and thinner. Really appreciate your time!!
Oh yes uk, sorry- london

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looks very similar! Thank you :)
No problems at all. Hope it helps but if you can get a photo today in daylight (with flash is ok as well if needed) then I reckon we will be able to ID it. I am not an expert but there are many others on the forum who usually are really good at this. Try for the ventral shot as well if you ca . Usually really easy if they are climbing the enclosure walls. ☺

MyLilRed

3 Year Member
Hi Edward,
Shame on whomever dumped those 2 T's. I really wish people would think before the trip act on buying reptiles and or tarantulas, especially as babies. Yes, they are so darn cute when small, but guess what!! They are gonna grow up and these T's get big (unless it's a dwarf species). Anyhow, CONGRATS on your newbie... One last thought, you may want to remove the heat mat as tarantulas do not require those.
Good luck Edward and welcome to a very addicting hobby!!!!

EdwardD

3 Year Member
Hey guys! Thank you so much for all the replys! Really appreciate it :) i am going to upload a new photo tommorrow in daylight.. would be so good if u guys could determin species!! Shes doing so well.. great appetite. Have ordered her a nice glass terrarium from The Spider Shop should be here tommorrow. Wow u guys have so many! Can see how its addictive!! Any one have indian ornimental? They are beautiful! ☺️

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
welcome @EdwardD We'll need more photos to accurately determine species. I can't guess which of the red rumps that could from the photo attached. A clear shot of the carapace and abdomen would be ideal. I don't believe it's the Mexican Golden Red Rump from the picture, carapace isn't light enough for that one. So it's either a B. vagans (Mexican Red Rump) or B. sabulosum (Guatemalan Red Rump) is my guess.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey guys! Thank you so much for all the replys! Really appreciate it :) i am going to upload a new photo tommorrow in daylight.. would be so good if u guys could determin species!! Shes doing so well.. great appetite. Have ordered her a nice glass terrarium from The Spider Shop should be here tommorrow. Wow u guys have so many! Can see how its addictive!! Any one have indian ornimental? They are beautiful! ☺️
Yeah the Indian Ornamental are lovely. There is a UK member on here (@LC72uk ) who has every pokie available in the hobby. The P. Metallica is also one of the Crown jewels of the hobby. I see he addition of being an "arochnoholic" has started already......lol

EdwardD

3 Year Member
Terrariums arrrived But my transferring tub doenst come til 2moro so just guna set it up now and transfer her 2moro. Will get photos then, shuld be able to get a nice shot of underside in tub as well. How do i prepeare the coco fibre brick? Says add 3 litres of water but thats it! Ive been reading and it says let dry for cupl hours b4 adding to terr? Omg! Yes i was researching P.Metalicca- such a beautiful spider!!! Says they are very defensive and bites are pretty bad (if they do). The skeleton types are gorgeous too. ☺️

Latest posts