• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi from Scotland,

Andy Corbitt

3 Year Member
Hi all,
I'm a 55 year old first time owner of a wild caught chilean rose sub-adult, as yet unsexed.
My wife was the inspiration of obtaining a tarantula as a pet, as she has always wanted to own one since she was a child.
We've had "Bubbleheid" (christened by our 4yr old grandkid, Junior) for about 3 months now and it has just successfully molted today (7/11/13), and looking great.
We've housed our tarantula in a 2' x 1' x 1.5' tank with about 5" of coco substreate with flat stone with burrow underneath, whick it loves to sit on, bark chips, log, water bowl, silk plants and an additional hide made from a peat pot on it's side.
My wife and I are looking forward to being tarantula owners for many years to come, hoping to glean information from you old hands, and contribute with our own experiences when we can, and post as many photos as possible of what we regard as our baby...

Attachments

• Bubbletank.jpg
    Bubbletank.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 25

khatchet

3 Year Member
Welcome. You have a great looking rose there. I had only one concern. You said it loves to sit on the chips. But wood chips are bad for spider and should be removed.

Andy Corbitt

3 Year Member
Hi, the chips are heat treated pine bark chips (no cedar) and are sold as suitable for tarantulas, lizards, gekos, snakes and many more and is retailed as "Fourpaws" "Naturebark" should I still get rid of it?

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome!

Lots of folks prefer coco fiber. It holds moisture well, and won't damage your T. Tarantulas, especially the New World, heavy bodied types, can damage their abdomens on the bark. Their bellies tend to drag the ground and can be injured on the rough substrate.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ps, you should Have a look at The " sexing tarantulas" Part of The Forum If you managed to get The old skin out in tact and find out If you Have a male or female.

Latest posts