• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heterometrus petersii

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think I'll have a big glass tank ready for it when it arrives. I'll get some gravel and a good hide then. So the coco fiber needs to be damp, right? Is the sphagnum moss mandatory?

Ours was only tiny when it came hence the small container. The sphagnum isn't compulsory but it does help hold moisture.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@MassExodus Do you agree Tic is female?
IMG_20170610_220430 (4).jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I want to say yes, but its a bit blurry. I'm sure you've looked up the two shapes though, and the bristle count. I've forgotten the technical terms, sorry, lol. But she's developed enough so it should be clear, and I'd trust your judgement. But if you can get a clearer pic I can say for certain. :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My son finally got Tic's old exo out after she sat on it and flattened it and I was surprised how big she was. Of course she's even bigger now.
DSCF1506.JPG

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
A few new pics of Tic. She's growing like a weed and coming up to another moult by the looks of her.

DSCF2832 (2).JPG

DSCF2834 (3).JPG

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
An update on Tic. She's moulted recently but I think either she or the crickets have eaten the old exo. She has happily climbed onto my son's hand a couple of times recently.

DSCF6876 (2).JPG

DSCF6878 (2).JPG

DSCF6879 (2).JPG

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sad to say Tic died a few weeks ago, why we don't know, she was fine the evening before but dead next morning :(.
My son went through the phase of not wanting any more Exotic pets, he even refused a very kind offer from @LC72uk of a baby from his Scorps offspring. Last week LC72 asked again, offering him his adult female as he was selling all his Scorps and my son said yes. She arrived this lunchtime but is as yet unnamed. She only took a few minutes to wander out of the travelling container, had a drink, a paddle and vanished into a corner with a juicy Dubai roach.

First sight of her on unpacking. I'll update when she settles and I have some better pictures and hopefully a name.
DSCF7582 (2).JPG