• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help. (molting again???)

Mean.uwu

Hi, I got a Red Rump Tarantula last September and it is my first spider.
She's been fine, moulted well a month ago, and hasn't displayed any abnormal behaviour until today. She made a bunch of webbing over the wall and ground and layed on top of it on her back. I went through Google and it kept telling me shes moulting but she moulted recently and should be moulted about once a year. I thought she was dead at first and panicked. When I stroked her with a paintbrush she responded but her back lega weren't moving. I think she may be dehydrated but I'm not sure what to do. I flipped her to her belly and she isn't moving.
What should I do????

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Never flip your spider. You can cause serious harm which can cause death.

ignore how often a T should moult. There’s a chance it could have had a problem during its last moult and it’s built up strength and prepared itself to moult again to correct itself. Spiders don’t die on their back.

make sure it’s water dish is topped up and leave it alone. Hopefully it moults successfully soon.
Any questions you have google is your enemy. Feel free to ask on here and we will do our best to help.

Mean.uwu

Never flip your spider. You can cause serious harm which can cause death.

ignore how often a T should moult. There’s a chance it could have had a problem during its last moult and it’s built up strength and prepared itself to moult again to correct itself. Spiders don’t die on their back.

make sure it’s water dish is topped up and leave it alone. Hopefully it moults successfully soon.

Any questions you have google is your enemy. Feel free to ask on here and we will do our best to help.

OK she's clearly moulting now and I am extremely relieved she isn't dead but I'm also terrified because I did flip her over. Should I turn her onto her side or just leave her??? I really don't know

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
OK she's clearly moulting now and I am extremely relieved she isn't dead but I'm also terrified because I did flip her over. Should I turn her onto her side or just leave her??? I really don't know
Don’t touch it at all. If it’s moulting don’t even move it’s enclosure.

Mean.uwu

Don’t touch it at all. If it’s moulting don’t even move it’s enclosure.
Okay okay thank you so much like really I was on a complete panic and my brain just blanked. Her head is almost cometely out now but I'm still worried about her legs. Will she be able to shed properly?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
She's 2 years old and was identified as female by the store when I got her. I can't confirm myself if she's female but I'm trusting what I've been told
That, may be problematic since pet stores are not always expert but know that females sell for more than males so it's to their advantage to sell it as a female.

You will soon have an exo to sex it from, however.

Mean.uwu

That, may be problematic since pet stores are not always expert but know that females sell for more than males so it's to their advantage to mark it female.

How will I do that? She's moulted once before and I still have the exo, can I check using that?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How will I do that? She's moulted once before and I still have the exo, can I check using that?
Look here

And here

Mean.uwu

Hi, I got a Red Rump Tarantula last September and it is my first spider.
She's been fine, moulted well a month ago, and hasn't displayed any abnormal behaviour until today. She made a bunch of webbing over the wall and ground and layed on top of it on her back. I went through Google and it kept telling me shes moulting but she moulted recently and should be moulted about once a year. I thought she was dead at first and panicked. When I stroked her with a paintbrush she responded but her back lega weren't moving. I think she may be dehydrated but I'm not sure what to do. I flipped her to her belly and she isn't moving.
What should I do????
Update: She's moulted and is perfectly fine, looking bigger and brighter :) I'm glad she's okay and I freaked for no reason

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good to hear it’s all ok. Give it a while to recover then if you can retrieve the moult and get a picture of the abdomen then we can sex it for you , althou T Vagans (I’m assuming because of red rump?) do like to destroy the moult.
image.jpg

this moult is male but between the 2top book lungs is what your looking for (4 white patches)

Mean.uwu

Good to hear it’s all ok. Give it a while to recover then if you can retrieve the moult and get a picture of the abdomen then we can sex it for you , althou T Vagans (I’m assuming because of red rump?) do like to destroy the moult. View attachment 47030
this moult is male but between the 2top book lungs is what your looking for (4 white patches)
The exo is squashed, I don't know if Pip can be sexed from this.
IMG_20200622_134302.jpg

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The abdomen would need to be spread out. It can be tedious and it’s very easy to tear. It’s also not too important but it’s nice to know sometimes :)

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You can cut the abdomen off and put it in water with a drop of dish soap. After 10 minutes or so try to pull the skin apart with matches or with toothpicks, but don’t use the sharp sides.

Mundo exotico

That, may be problematic since pet stores are not always expert but know that females sell for more than males so it's to their advantage to sell it as a female.

You are right. My a seemanni was sold as a female and it looks like is a male. Even with slings sometimes pet shops say its female

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You are right. My a seemanni was sold as a female and it looks like is a male. Even with slings sometimes pet shops say its female
They’ll say we suspect female most of the time as it’s worth more but truth is they really just don’t know. Pet shop near us has 1 hooked out male being sold as male and 2 others hooked out that aren’t identified as male.